Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
broke rookie
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching new yankee workshop and norm was using a pad to set the work on while using his router instead of clamping. question is, is there a certain type of pad to use his looked like carpet underlayment, has anyone done this and how did it work. I admit to being a complete newb and any help would be great. it seems like a great idea.

ps it was the adirondak chair episode on youtube.

·
Registered
157 Posts
From time to time I just use a pad. Depends on depth of the cut and other things. When I do I use the stuff you can buy in rolls that goes on your cabinets. I find it holds good enough for something like a round over.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
They sell special "router pads" that are the same material as the thick drawer liners (the ones with all the holes). Depending on what I'm working I'll use a pad (actually a roll of left over drawer liner from my automotive tool boxes) rather than clamps. Even when I'm using clamps, I put the pad under the piece I'm routing to protect it from being marred on my less than perfect work area. I'll also use the same pad when sanding. So it has multiple uses.

·
7,222 Posts
I have the special "router pad" which is about 3/16in solid rubber.

I only use this for sanding. After seeing the pieces move on the pad with sanding and my Random Orbit Sander, I would not trust this to hold a piece while routing. Too much movement - of the pad on the bench.

I recommend clamping any hand held routing.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Just be careful it doesn't stick out from under your piece. Routers and belt sanders like to grab it. DAMHIK ;-)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those of you who say you use the pads for sanding, are you referring to hand sanding, or do the pads work fairly well with a 1\4 sheet palm sander or random orbital sander? I'm annoyed when sanding smaller pieces and having to use a vice or clamps. The pads sound like a good idea for that purpose, but I think I would stick to clamps when routing.

·
7,222 Posts
Those of you who say you use the pads for sanding, are you referring to hand sanding, or do the pads work fairly well with a 1\4 sheet palm sander or random orbital sander? I'm annoyed when sanding smaller pieces and having to use a vice or clamps. The pads sound like a good idea for that purpose, but I think I would stick to clamps when routing.
I use the router pad when hand sanding, mostly for the soft aspect of the material so I do not get scratches on the underside.

I also use the router pad when sanding with the ROS. The wood does not move on the pad much, but the pad will try and rotate. Not difficult to stop the pad rotating, just something to know will happen.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a couple of those pads to protect my work from scratches... when sanding... and the little pieces will move. Never considered using it for the router and now that I've considered it... I will never use it for routing!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have one of the old pads looks like a carpet under lament. I use it for routing and sanding small pieces, no problems, but I stick to just bits that use a bearing. Don't try it with free running bits, like dado or rabbit bit off a straight edge, piece will not be stable enough, it will move slightly dependent on how much pressure you put down on it. But for edging, never had a problem, there is no way, even if it grabs are you gonna sling a piece anywhere, it will grab the pad more, may move a little, I like it better then routing small pieces on my table and clamps just get in the way. Anything of lenght, table is a better option. Don't worry about a small piece getting slung across the room, no way is it coming out from between that router and pad, just not gonna happen.

·
broke rookie
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys it looked pretty slick watching norm use it. his looked to be in a shallow box? maybe to help prevent the pad from moving? either way sounds like I need one to prevent damage to work if nothing else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts