Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was sorting through my stored wood and I realized that I have accumulated a quantity of warped, twisted and otherwise linguine like pieces of wood that are in the neighborhood of 3/4" in thickness and are beyond straightening; wavy and twisted boards. Planning and dimensional sanding are out of the question. These are all hardwoods and range from mahogany to some nice exotics. Twists are in the neighborhood of 1/2" twist in 16" of run, I think it is all too extreme to do any kind of glue-up lamination or even use for end grain cutting boards. I just feel that there is too much here for me to just toss and I'm wondering what if anything can I do with his type of material? Suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can always make yourself a steamer box and put the pieces in it then, after they are pliable, clamp them flat to remove the twists and warps out of them. This is not for plywood, as the layers will fall apart. Also, depending on the typesof wood, you can soak them in water and use them in the grill to add smoke for flavoring and a fire ring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i'm with the steam idea too.

get some boiling water and steam them for an hour and then find a bunch of longish clamps and some flat boards and let them dry for a day or so.

they were milled at some point right? just undo what time and neglect has done.

·
Registered
26,358 Posts
I've tried to straighten and use wood like that and every time it continues to warp some more. I use it for kindling wood now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jock, pretty much straight grained but with either attractive grain or coloration. That is why I'd prefer to salvage what I can. Firemedic, that is what I was going to attempt but I was looking for project ideas for the use of small pieces; the pen idea would work but I don't make pens. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Pens are why I was asking .
Put a thread over on the Woodturning forum , mention Pen Blanks in the title .
You might be able to trade with someone close by

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
I would just mill it to the biggest sizes you can getting acceptable wood pieces. Burn the scraps and figure what to make later.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Perfectly good for kitchen utensils that are going to have round handles anyway. 1" x 1" x 14" bananas work for me (cheap wood, too!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts