Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, Im new to this site, not sure if this is the right place to post.

I recently purchased a cedar swingset off craigslist and when I turned it over all 4x4 posts are rotted about 4 to 5 inches. I'm thinking of making a large rectangle box out of 4x6 pressure treated lumber and sitting the swingset on top after cutting out the rotted wood. The new lumber would sit 6 inch high off the ground and would replace the aproximate 6 inches I will cut away. I will then anchor all 4x4 posts with metal fence post anchors. Anyone think this will work or have a better idea? I don't want to replace all 4x4 posts just the bad parts.

Please help. Thanks for any advice, Harry

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think building a rectangular box would be the way to go because I would think children playing on a swing set would eventually come into contact with the boards in front and behind.
Option one, shorten legs 6 inches, shorten swings an equal amount.
Option two, splice on longer legs. I'm not so handy with a drawing program, but I've seen similar posts and someone here suggested a splice that actually fit together tighter under compression.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
PT 2X6 & 2X8. Cut 2 pieces of each, about 2' long, bevel one end of each piece.. Form a box around the end of the cut off leg, bevel up and slanting toward leg. Rip each piece as necessary to form a box around the leg. Lag screw together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts