Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a guy on CL selling some used tools that I have been looking to buy and am hoping someone would have a review on 1 or more of them.

14" Ridgid BS1400 band saw ($100)
6" Delta table jointer ($100)
Ridgid EB4424 Combo belt/spindle sander ($100)

Are any of these better deals than the others? I probably have the budget (aka wife) to buy 2 of these. Maybe try to package 2 together for $150-$175. If you could pick 2 of these tools based on good reviews and price, which ones would you choose? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The sander is awesome. I use mine on almost every project that I have. \

I have no experience, but have heard good things on the bandsaw.

I was always warned to stay away form table top jointers, as they tend to be wimpy(if you plan on jointing 6" wide boards, it will lack the power).

Simon

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The sander is a good tool and a fair price.

Benchtop jointers in general are small, light, loud, and more prone to flex....if space isn't absolutely forcing your hand, I'd look for a used floor unit.

The price on the BS is decent, but the saw itself has a checkered history of vibration issues that you may need to chase.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If it's a table top jointer I'd pass. The band saw can be made to a pretty good unit, and for 100 bucks I'd get it.

·
RAM Man
766 Posts
If it hasn't been used to death, I'd snap that sander up quickly before someone else does. Pass on the jointer and consider the bandsaw only if you're willing to put a few more dollars and some time into it to make it work well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First of all, the asking price of the tools depends on their condition. I had heard favorable reviews from woodworkers on the Rigid belt/spindle sander. It retails for 200 bucks, so you're looking at half price. If it's in great shape grab it (ask for 85, see if that works). I had the Delta jointer and once set up correctly it worked well, but was noisy. What he's asking is below half price, especially if bought a few years ago. The band saw isn't the best of quality imo, the 14" Jet I had was a much better built machine but you won't find one of those for $100, but to get you into owning a band saw, it might work. Again, considering it's condition. Try offering $225 for all three (he may be anxious to sell). Good luck. (btw, you should have shown pictures, that would help).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, the asking price of the tools depends on their condition. I had heard favorable reviews from woodworkers on the Rigid belt/spindle sander. It retails for 200 bucks, so you're looking at half price. If it's in great shape grab it (ask for 85, see if that works). I had the Delta jointer and once set up correctly it worked well, but was noisy. What he's asking is below half price, especially if bought a few years ago. The band saw isn't the best of quality imo, the 14" Jet I had was a much better built machine but you won't find one of those for $100, but to get you into owning a band saw, it might work. Again, considering it's condition. Try offering $225 for all three (he may be anxious to sell). Good luck. (btw, you should have shown pictures, that would help).
He didnt show any pictures on his CL ad else I would have. Going to go check out the sander today. Thanks.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Stupid question here.

Are the tools hot?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts