Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking at a used table saw I found nearby, the owner says it is a craftsman 152.221040 I've tried to find some info on it, but the info I've found is minimal.

If anyone has any experience with this saw I'd like to hear it, good, bad, or indifferent.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The 22104 was the entry level of the original Craftsman "zipcode" hybrids made by Steel City/Orion. The 22114 and 22124 were the other two. They were introduced somtime in 2004 IIRC. They're full size saws with yoke style cabinet mounted trunnions and a serpentine drive belt. The 22104 had steel wings and a lesser fence, but the guts were same. They were a pretty well regarded saw, and a had a large happy following. They predated mandatory riving knives. The new 22116 replaced the 22124 a few years ago, and the other two have been discontinued.

It looks like this:

The guts looks something like this:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the same saw (got used), it has been great for me. I haven't worked any thick hardwoods yet, but have not yet been able to bog down the 1 1/2 hp. Once I got everything adjusted, the fence has stayed square (but I am careful to not abuse it) and with a knife scribe line on the cursor, can repeat rips with good accuracy. The stamped steel wings have not been much of a problem, they are both flat and square to the table, didn't have to shim anything.

Of course, after I got it, THEN I found a great deal on a 22124...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The same saw was available (with minor changes) as at least a ridgid, craftsman, steel city and possibly others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I'll be taking a look at it later this week. The person selling it has added casters to make it mobile, they are asking $100 for it. I'm thinking the hardest part will be finding a friend to help me load it into my truck and unload it when I get home. They are about an hour from me, but 30 minutes from where I work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
And if you have a pickup, loading is easy. Remove the power switch from the fence rail, position the saw with the rail over the tailgate, and roll the saw into the truck upside down. Reverse to unload, real easy with two people and not much lifting. I was able to unload mine by myself, but more steady with two.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And if you have a pickup, loading is easy. Remove the power switch from the fence rail, position the saw with the rail over the tailgate, and roll the saw into the truck upside down. Reverse to unload, real easy with two people and not much lifting. I was able to unload mine by myself, but more steady with two.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. This will make it a lot easier to get the saw loaded and unloaded when I get home.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Thanks all, I'll be taking a look at it later this week. The person selling it has added casters to make it mobile, they are asking $100 for it. I'm thinking the hardest part will be finding a friend to help me load it into my truck and unload it when I get home. They are about an hour from me, but 30 minutes from where I work.
The motor is worth the asking price. Great deal if it runs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well crap- he sold the table saw before I got a chance to look at it. At least he emailed me to tell me.

The hunt continues.....

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Well crap- he sold the table saw before I got a chance to look at it. At least he emailed me to tell me.

The hunt continues.....
Bummer, but deals like that don't usually stick around long. It was nice of him to let you know.....sounds like a stand up guy.

If you post your location, one of these guys or gals might be able to offer some leads on another saw deal....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bummer, but deals like that don't usually stick around long. It was nice of him to let you know.....sounds like a stand up guy.

If you post your location, one of these guys or gals might be able to offer some leads on another saw deal....
Yep, I knew it was a good deal and figured it wouldn't last long. Only irritating thing was the guy is the one that set up the Sat meeting to take a look and then it got sold. Oh well.

BTW- I'm in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and still looking. I figure if I don't find anything in the next 2 months I'll probably just save up some more money and buy a new saw in the 500-600 range, but if I can avoid the cost and get a good saw I'd rather go the used route.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
I would have sent you a private message, but you have PMs disabled.

A couple of tips for finding good deals on saws:

Camp out on craigslist on saturday from 10AM to 1PMish. Seems like most of the crazy good deals I've seen lately have been posted about that time. People wake up from their hangover wanting to make a major change in their life, starting with the garage! hahaha!

Use a notification service to email you when craigslist searches matching your keywords pop up. Be sure to exclude brands you know you don't want. For example, a search might look like this: "Table saw" -ryobi -skil -skill -skilsaw -pro tech -central

The problem with notification services is that they have a delay of sometimes a half-hour. Somebody who just entered the search will have already emailed the seller and set up a viewing before you even got the email. But, you may still luck out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Craftsman with cast iron wings and Biesemeyer fence for $300

Delta X5 Unisaw with Biesemeyer, router table, and mobile base for $500 <-Jump on that NOW, if you have the space and the motor is single phase. Hell, it'd be worth it even if you had to buy a single phase motor. He's got a floor drill press for $75, too.
The c-man is overpriced by at least $100 ( and not in terribly good shape) and the delta, while a nice saw at a really good price, appears to have been used in a commercial setting. Component condition could be a factor a potential buyer should be prepared for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have sent you a private message, but you have PMs disabled.

A couple of tips for finding good deals on saws:

Camp out on craigslist on saturday from 10AM to 1PMish. Seems like most of the crazy good deals I've seen lately have been posted about that time. People wake up from their hangover wanting to make a major change in their life, starting with the garage! hahaha!

Use a notification service to email you when craigslist searches matching your keywords pop up. Be sure to exclude brands you know you don't want. For example, a search might look like this: "Table saw" -ryobi -skil -skill -skilsaw -pro tech -central

The problem with notification services is that they have a delay of sometimes a half-hour. Somebody who just entered the search will have already emailed the seller and set up a viewing before you even got the email. But, you may still luck out.
Craigslist is my new most visited site this past couple of weeks. The good deal I found was posted on Sunday night. Odd time for such a good deal but I still jumped on it as far as contacting him. Just didn't work out. Do you know of any decent notification apps? I've never had any positive results from them. A 30 minute delay isn't terrible, but that would be a huge improvement over what my past experiences were with notification apps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts