Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been going back and forth with whether I want to upgrade to a Sawstop. I have been on Craigslist trying to find a good deal on one and I came across a 3HP one for $1500. Seller is saying that it needs a little TLC. He states that there is surface rust on the table, fence and cranks could use some cleaning/lubricating for optimal glide, additional top to the right (the non cast iron one) could be leveled better. Other than that, it's supposed to be great. My question is, should I be jumping on this ASAP or what? Just wondering if all that work isn't that much work and its a great deal. Thanks for any of your input guys.

·
Just figuring it out
141 Posts
I would check the status lights for errors on the braking system. It should just be a green light normally, it should blink if you touch the blade (probably best not to have it spinning at the time) with your finger. Make a cut and see if that goes okay, etc. I've seen plenty of folks remove serious rust with a sanding block. But the price certainly sounds nice if you compare it to a new one...

·
Just figuring it out
141 Posts
By the way the newer brakes have a bluish clear cover, and have been out for some years now. The older brakes were clear plastic. I'd check and see what this one has. If it's not the blue ones, you may want to check with SawStop regarding replacement brakes, and how old it makes that machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way the newer brakes have a bluish clear cover, and have been out for some years now. The older brakes were clear plastic. I'd check and see what this one has. If it's not the blue ones, you may want to check with SawStop regarding replacement brakes, and how old it makes that machine.
Thanks Dave. He said he is pretty sure he bought it in 2013. Used it sparingly and hasn't used it in a few years. Im gonna check it out and check on the things that you told me. Appreciate the help

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The 3 HP model requires 230v power. They sell new for $2879 with the cheapest fence and no accessories. I am not you, and I haven't seen the saw, but it seems like a good buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3 HP model requires 230v power. They sell new for $2879 with the cheapest fence and no accessories. I am not you, and I haven't seen the saw, but it seems like a good buy.
Yea, normally I like to buy tools new, but this is a very solid price on a used one. Its also saving me ~$500-600 in tax and shipping on to of whatever Sawstop I would be new. Im gonna check it out in a few days when he gets back home and see how it looks in person.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yea, normally I like to buy tools new, but this is a very solid price on a used one. Its also saving me ~$500-600 in tax and shipping on to of whatever Sawstop I would be new. Im gonna check it out in a few days when he gets back home and see how it looks in person.
Your thoughts match mine. Even if it needs a lot of clean up work, it is still a bargain. You haven't said which fence and other accessories come with it (outfeed table? mobile base?) and they add considerable cost to the base price.

I hope it works out for you. I have a PCS-175. I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
1,869 Posts
additional top to the right (the non cast iron one)
Is this referring to perhaps a table top wing? top extension maybe?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I assume they are referring to the black extension table, which is a wood frame with a black laminate top. It provides a flat surface between the fence rails on the right side of the saw, to the right of the cast iron wing.

I don't remember who told me this, but I was warned before assembly to be careful to leave the bolts loose while aligning the extension table. Tighten the bolts only after the table is well aligned and flat.

The issue is that the bolts and washers dig into the wood frame and leave indentations when the bolts are fully tightened. After that, minute adjustments are difficult because they want to fall back into the previous indentations. If it an issue on this used saw, I am sure it can be managed. In the worst case, I imagine that it is easy enough to sand out the indentation and start over for each hole.

P.S. FYI: The extension table is not quite as flat as the cast iron table and wings. I could not align mine as perfect as I wanted. That's being extra extra picky. It works fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your thoughts match mine. Even if it needs a lot of clean up work, it is still a bargain. You haven't said which fence and other accessories come with it (outfeed table? mobile base?) and they add considerable cost to the base price.

I hope it works out for you. I have a PCS-175. I am very pleased with it.
Comes with the mobile base, but he said one of the wheels is having an issue and provided the part number for the fix so I know there's that cost. Also I will more then likely upgrade to the t glide fence as it doesn't have that... or possibly the incra fence too. Still think it's a good deal as long as there aren't other unforseen issues. When I go to check it out I will see if I can test it though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts