Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the board and newish to wood working, having took wood shop 2 years in jr and sr high back in the 1980's.

I have been buying some tools to do projects around my house over the last few years, and decided that I need another expensive hobby. I have decided a good project to start out with is cutting boards as I can make bunches and as long as they aren't messed up, give them away as presents. After my glue up tonight of a board, I think I will need look into getting myself a planer. I noblely thought that I can clean up and level out the cutting boards with my sander After some searching and reading reviews I came across a used Dewalt DW733 planer and stand for $235. The pictures of it show a planer that is pretty good shape, clean looking, and the stand looks pretty sturdy. My question is this a good price? Or should I keep looking? I talked to the guy selling the planer, and he says it runs great. Just a little leary of buying used from Craigslist is all.

Thanks in advance.
P

·
Registered
293 Posts
You need to be carful buying things on Craig's List. Try it out, meet the guy, tell him you want to run a board through the plainer and see how it works. I would do hard wood. Also, make a judgement on the guy, do you think it is stollen? If you feel good about everything go for it. When I buy on Craig's List I do these things. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Wood Forum

·
7,222 Posts
Options to flatten cutting boards
a) Hand planer. Cheaper than a power planer.
b) Power planer. Good for face grain boards (all grain running from end to end).
c) Drum sander. Good for face grain or end grain or board with grain running in multiple directions. More expensive than a power planer, but will not have risk of tearout.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have a DeWalt 733 that I bought used on CL a couple years ago. I've really been pleased with it. It cuts smooth (especially after I put new knives in it) and has little snipe. After a board goes through it all I need is some finish sanding and the wood surface is ready for stain. I paid $200 for mine (without a stand) and though I think $235 is a tad high, used DeWalt planers bring premium prices.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts