Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Something
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the recent activity of the saw purchases here, I got to thinking again about upgrading from a contracter saw. Lack of power and fence are a PITA.

What watch-outs should a person be looking for in a USED cabinet saw. I can think of a few; correct me or add to the list.

1) Single Phase/220 v

2) 3 to 5 HP. My understanding is that 1.5 HP is too little for a Cabinet Saw. This my main concern. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3) Some how check to see if the castings or cradle is not cracked. Any suggestions on how or what to look for would be good.

4) Rust. I can handle a rusty or even pitted top. Nothing but a little elbow grease.

5) Fence. Two saws I recently saw listed had the original delta fence. I think I would prefer an upgrade; What are the choices and and what do they typically run?

6) Free spinning blade when belt removed. Bearings good?

Any thing else.

I'm currently not in the finacial position to buy a saw, but I hope that'll change soon. So I just want to be educated when the time comes so I don't procrastinate and miss out on the saw (some people can do this and come out smelling like a rose:yes:).

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Your check out list is a good start. The question about 1½ HP being too little for a cabinet saw doesn't apply. It's pretty common for contractors saws, and with the correct blade performs very well. So, there's no real difference...the blade does the cutting...it doesn't know what saw it's in.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's a good list. Just remember : never purchase the saw without testing it out or getting a guarantee that it can be returned if it doesn't operate properly.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
......My understanding is that 1.5 HP is too little for a Cabinet Saw. This my main concern. Correct me if I'm wrong......
the original unisaws had 1.5 HP repulsion induction motors that developed plenty of torque. HP alone is not the mark of a good woodworking saw. plenty of 1.5 HP relatively new contractor saws are capable of fine woodworking. proper blade selection and appropriate feed rate can accomplish quite a bit in a hobbyist's shop.

Reactions: djg

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a saw due to 1.5hp motors......a good thin kerf blade on 1.5 hp is a great saw still.

·
Senior Something
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1.5 -2 HP motor on my current Craftman contractor saw now and it stalls out somethimes in thicker wood. But maybe the older 1.5 HP Unisaw motors would be ok because things were build better back then.

What are your thoughs on the original Delta Unifence? Seems like a glorified version of what I've got now. Would that deter any of you from buying the saw? Or are they fairly accurate?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
What blade are you using on your current saw? Thin kerf? The old unifences have a pretty good following. A very accurate fence, with abilities to build jigs and auxiliary fences on it that you don't get with a bisermeyer.

Assuming your not talking the old round tube fence on a unisaw, rather the cast fence with the aluminum extrusion face.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you have the option to rewire for 240v? I know my 21833 runs and cuts a lot better now that I've rewired it. It may not work for you, but it might be a low cost alternative to try before you buy.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts