Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a video by kennyearrings1 on fretwork and he recommended getting a jewelers drill for doing fretwork. I would like to contact him with a couple of questions - in the About below the video he says to send him a line but does not give the address.

I want to know how he uses the jewelers drill in fretwork.

If you can tell me how to contact kennyearrings1, I would appreciate it.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,490 Posts
It would appear that we have 2 threads in motion about this same topic. Either way, I will do my best to explain the purpose of the jewellers drill. Due to the limitations of some drill presses, the upright post or mast at the rear of the drill press can get in the way of drilling entry holes in the centre of larger fretwork pieces. A jewellers drill is an excellent way to reach those areas without any worry of the drill press mast getting in your way. I usually drill all of the blade entry holes in an area of the cutting first, before taking the piece over to the scroll saw. Once I get it over to the saw, there have been times where I've noticed that I had missed drilling an entry hole or two. Instead of uprooting myself from the scroll saw, I use my jewellers drill to place an entry hole in the areas that I missed. Sometimes, when I am doing demonstrations at woodworking shows, there isn't an option to have a drill press as I just don't have the room for it. Again, the jewellers drill comes to the rescue with an easy way to drill entry holes with no need for electricity or extra floor space for the drill press. Some of the pieces that I cut have extremely small entry holes for the blades. The tiny bits needed to drill these holes do not fit in a conventional drill press chuck but the jewellers drill handles the tiny bits with ease. And lastly, a lot of the fretwork pieces that I cut, are extremely fragile and sometimes it is touch and go as to whether or not a piece will survive the saw. If they won't survive the saw, they definitely won't survive the drill press. The jewellers drill is a lot more forgiving when it comes to adding blade entry holes. The gentle drilling action of the jewellers drill doesn't break apart a delicate fretwork piece like a drill press would.
I hope that this clears up why I use the jewellers drill. I will post this response on the other thread as well, so that they both have the answer to the question.
By the way, the jewellers drill I use is this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kenbo for your patience and time to give such detail. After 11 years and still going in woodworking/intarsia/fretwork, I am still amazed there is always something to learn and someone willing to tell you how. I haven't done that much fretwork but will be (hopefully) over next few weeks and have always had problems with the small/tiny areas to be cut out and how to drill the hole for the blade without destroying the area itself.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,490 Posts
Thanks Kenbo for your patience and time to give such detail. After 11 years and still going in woodworking/intarsia/fretwork, I am still amazed there is always something to learn and someone willing to tell you how. I haven't done that much fretwork but will be (hopefully) over next few weeks and have always had problems with the small/tiny areas to be cut out and how to drill the hole for the blade without destroying the area itself.
You are very welcome. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me. I'm always willing to help out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts