Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum. I am a amateur wood worker and have been picking away at it for the last 20+ years. My shop is too small for the number of tools I have 12X25. I have learned most of my wood working by just trial and mistakes. One of the real big things I have learned through the years is it is mush faster and less pain to take the time and work safe then going to the hospital, so safety is my number 1 thing. I live in upper NY about 20 miles east of Rochester NY in the small town of Marion. I keep my wood projects small seeing I have a small shop.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome and I know what you mean when it comes to small shops but any place you can get away for a while is a good place.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from NH - Like yourself, I learned woodworking by doing it and reading books and magazines. Didn't get very far for the first 30 years (busy working and raising 4 boys etc.), but I retired 4 years ago and my woodworking skill level has climbed. Hang in there and stay safe. Small shops can be challenging, but they are cozy and easier to heat in the winter.

I built a great bench for a small shop and this coming winter, I'm going to make my bench height adjustable. It's a great bench but I have a low ceiling and have to work my taller builds laying down or on the floor - so height adjustable is calling me... :yes:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome from NH - Like yourself, I learned woodworking by doing it and reading books and magazines. Didn't get very far for the first 30 years (busy working and raising 4 boys etc.), but I retired 4 years ago and my woodworking skill level has climbed. Hang in there and stay safe. Small shops can be challenging, but they are cozy and easier to heat in the winter.

I built a great bench for a small shop and this coming winter, I'm going to make my bench height adjustable. It's a great bench but I have a low ceiling and have to work my taller builds laying down or on the floor - so height adjustable is calling me... :yes:
We sound a lot alike because I have been retired now for 9 years. One of the problems I have is heating my shop. I was heating it with fire wood till the town said I couldn't heat it with a solid fuel like wood. Don't really know what to do as far as heating it this coming winter,

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Welcome from another "small shop guy." I save my big projects for warm weather an assemble outside. I use one of THESE for heat and it does very well. I use a 20 lb tank mounted outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts