Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i picked up a ridgid R4512, has the blade alignment problem. Will be returning it.

What would you recommendin that range? I can go higher in my budget, but i have some limitations.

Needs to be 110v, belt driven, good fence, good power.

budget is $600, doubt there is much out there for that? but what about $700/$800 etc? Don't want to really go over $1000. :blink:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
You could try another....or the craftsman version. It appears that if you get one without the problem....you'll be fine forever.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i could. The thought of lugging another one of these around and discovering it would be less then ideal. Plus thinking about it, me and my wife have been talking about starting a business in the near future, and maybe NOW would be the time to get a pretty decent saw. Of course not a $2k one.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I think the grizzly has in the past had alignment issues......but I don't know that for sure. I can tell you for the price, i'd buy another craftsman in a heart beat.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the grizzly has in the past had alignment issues......but I don't know that for sure. I can tell you for the price, i'd buy another craftsman in a heart beat.....
Yeah, i see numerous saws in that range. Just deciding on exactly what to do and how best to spend the money. My wife and I are talking. She would be cool, but the way our work is. It's tough to know when we'd be laid off, and I'd rather have cash in the bank just in case.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
The first two would be ones i'd lean toward out of the group.....the first one for the fence....arguably the best fence system on the market. The second one for the rest of the saw.....they were pretty well regarded saws. Now that said.....I think both are overpriced for what your getting.

·
Registered
243 Posts
lateralus819 said:
Well i picked up a ridgid R4512, has the blade alignment problem. Will be returning it.

What would you recommendin that range? I can go higher in my budget, but i have some limitations.

Needs to be 110v, belt driven, good fence, good power.

budget is $600, doubt there is much out there for that? but what about $700/$800 etc? Don't want to really go over $1000. :blink:
I just bought the porter cable job site table saw. It's worth every penny of the 299 I paid at lowes. Very nice, accurate, takes about 45 minutes to setup, the fence is great. Accurate and the right side does slide out along with the back. I actually bought it online with a 25 dollar off online coupon which can only be used online and picked it up at the store an hour later. Paid 296 after tax. Porter cable also makes a more stationary saw with casters and is a bit nicer for 499 I believe. This is the second porter cable power tool I've bought and I'm definitely becoming a porter cable fan now.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Thanks so much scott. I did see ALL of those, problem is i have NO clue what to look for as far as features, shape, quality, etc. Which would you lean towards?
For me, the desirable features are good fence, solid cast wings, cabinet mounted trunnions, ample power, standard size (27" deep), good value, riving knife, left tilt. None of those saws has it all, but all seemed to be priced reasonably IMO. A saw that runs well and is in good shape is a given. The Jet cabinet saw has the best bones under the hood, but will require 220v operation. The first Delta has the best fence. The Ridgid has the same cab mounted trunnions as the Cman 22116 mentioned earlier, but the fence is mediocre.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You should be able to align the blade pretty easy. Loosen the top and use a dead blow hammer to tap it into position.
ah, if only it were that easy. the griz 0715 alignment problem being discussed involves the blade's alignment relative to a miter slot changing as the elevation of the blade is increased and/or decreased. it's the same problem, i believe, that has been reported with some frequency in the ridgid 4512.

and, FTR, since the 0715 has table, not cabinet, mounted trunions, the top can be tapped till the cows come home and the alignment will never change. tapping the trunions, once loosened, that hold the arbor carriage to the underside of the table is the method used to align the blade to the miter slot on hybrids like the 0715.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have R4512 and had fun to do a few blade alignments until I got a catch.
May be it's true for all R4512 since looks like it's a construction issue.

The issue is that the alignment is different when the blade is raising up or putting down. After I figured it out I did alignment to miter slot after raising the blade up. Now I have stable result always (0 mm on both ends). Just need to remember that the blade should always move up to be alignment to miter slot. Thus if I need to put the blade down I move it more than I need to. After slowly raise it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts