Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up cut spiral router bits are ridiculous... I know they're more work an all to make.....but 50-100 bucks for one straight bit.....:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stupid Question......If I need to plunge cut 1 inch mortises.....will a 1 inch cutting depth bit work? Or do I need slightly longer in reality?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hi Ryan,

So long as the bit has 1" of cutting edge and you step down the cut as you go you'll be alright. Make sure at least a little of the shaft above the cutting edge is showing too so the collet won't bottom out on your cut.

As for bit prices, just shop around. Amazon.com has 1/4"d 1" spiral upcut bits from under $20 to $80 or more.

Just curious... what kind/brand of CNC do you have?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Cnc machine, trying to use a plunge router to cut some mortises. I need to work on a better hold down on my mortiser before I can get the precision I'm looking for. So my plan is to use a router to hog out most of the mortise, then use the chisel mortiser to clean up the corners.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ryan50hrl said:
No Cnc machine, trying to use a plunge router to cut some mortises. I need to work on a better hold down on my mortiser before I can get the precision I'm looking for. So my plan is to use a router to hog out most of the mortise, then use the chisel mortiser to clean up the corners.
I was mainly looking at 1/2 shank bits....which start around 35-40 bucks.

·
John
3,028 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
Here is another good source although it is a bit spotty. Onsrud uses this eBay store to get rid of stock overruns and things like that. I've got some 1/2" spirals with 1-1/2" cutting length for about $25 and compression and chip breaker bits for $10 and $12.
Like I said, it's a bit spotty as the selection varies from week to week, they usually update on Tuesdays. The bits are the sharpest I have. One more caution, pay special attention to the item description, the shank size is almost always same as the cutting diameter, ie a 3mm. bit will have a 3mm shank and a 3/4" bit will have a 3/4" shank.
http://stores.ebay.com/LMT-Onsrud-R...5528013&_sid=1025154553&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
:yes:
EDIT - they are also a good source of saw blades but I still prefer the Freud.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I would buy one slightly longer than you need. Not so much because the shorter one won't work, but more because the extra length doesn't cost that much more, and that length does help on occasion. Yeah, they're expensive, and having them sharpened reduces the OD :censored:, but man, do they work good!

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
use a self centering router base

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox&p=self centering router base&type=

Here's a link to the subject and some of the images show simple 2 or 4 pin designs. I made one for my quilt rack project and it saved me hours of time. :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts