Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a router table that's higher than average? I've been wanting to make one for over a year and always thought I'd make it 36" tall for countertop height. Right now I'm just using a small portable table and have it on top of saw horses that are slightly taller than 36". The whole setup is 48 3/4" high to the table surface from the floor. I haven't tried to run anything longer than about 4' through it but for everything I've ran, and that's been a lot, I've loved this height. It seems perfect for about anything I'd want except for long boards or broad panels which I could just clamp and freehand route on a workbench instead. Any reason I shouldn't just build a table this high?

Attachments

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
"Any reason I shouldn't just build a table this high?"

Of course not!:no: We are all different heights. Just build it according to what is comfortable to you.:yes:
I have the simular router table to yours, well, sometimes I put it on a table that is 25 inches high to work on my box tops. Then sometimes I put it on top of my TS. With it that High it is almost eye level to me and I'm 5' 8".:eek: But that height is comfortable to me when I work on other things that I make. Remember "IT IS YOUR SHOP", make it comfortable to you and to what you make the most. But most of all Make it Safe.

:jester:"Remember It's your money, Use it when you want". LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing::thumbsup:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm roughly 6'1" to 6'3" (been measured at both, don't know who's right) and this table height is extremely comfortable for routing small parts and moderate length boards. I normally clamp down long, heavy, or wide parts at a lower height and freehand route things. When I freehand or edge route I find bending forward helps me control things but when doing small parts on a table I like to be upright. Eye level though, sheesh, I'd get some GOOD safety glasses. My uncle is blind in one eye from when he was a kid and got in an apple throwing fight, but he still sees with the other eye and does woodworking. In his experiences he's had a bit fly out of a router while running and he'd just previously been bending over looking at it. If it had hit his one good eye his woodworking days would have been over.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am just shy of 6' and I have mine set up so that it comes to about my navel. I like that it is tall enough I can work at it and not have bend over. My TS on the other hand is a few inches shorter and I get a heck if a pain in my back after long work periods.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well my table saw, bench and sliding miter are all at 36", but my router table is at 42". Mostly because I made my own router table and 42" seemed to be the right height to where I don't have to bend over to change bits or run material through it. I have several adjustable roller saw horses, which can adjust to 42" if needed, in case I need out feed or in feed support for the router. I am, like the previous post, just under 6 foot. My advice is making it what ever is comfortable to YOU.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just shy of 6' and I have mine set up so that it comes to about my navel. I like that it is tall enough I can work at it and not have bend over. My TS on the other hand is a few inches shorter and I get a heck if a pain in my back after long work periods.
Well I'm literally building a new table saw cabinet and table top for the guts of a cheap jobsite saw to go in. I can make it whatever height I want but I kind of thought I'd stick with the stock height of most since a spinning 10" blade scares the life out of me and I think leaning over helps keep pressure on the boards going through the saw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts