Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me understand pricing calculations better? I have been reading a bit, but the confusion is not going away.:glare: A few real life examples of calculation would be great!

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
419 Posts
Board Foot

A board foot is actually a 1 foot square piece of wood 1" thick. Consequently, a board 8' long by 8" wide by 1½" thick is 8 board feet. The math is: 96 " long x 8" wide = 768 square inches / 144 = 5.334 square feet x 1.5" thick = 8 board feet. It's almost like figuring cubic measure but not quite. As you can see, at the end you are multiplying square feet by inches thickness to get "Board Feet".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
But what about a board that is 2" thick, or more? Will the cost be calculated differently, or will the price per BF simply be greater?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
But what about a board that is 2" thick, or more? Will the cost be calculated differently, or will the price per BF simply be greater?
edp explained bft well. Length X Width divided by 144 is bft on a 1" board, then multiply for thicknesses over 1" (1.5, 2, 2.25...), hey where have I heard that before? All I did was repeat what edp said :laughing:.

For your question on price per thickness there is a "value added" number on top of the bft for thicker stock. For example 8/4 (2") is more expensive because of a number of factors, one of them being it is harder to dry. I am using round numbers here but say you pick up a 4/4" board that is 6 bft and a 8/4" board of the same species/grade/width/length that is 12 bft. The price will be higher than just double, most often.

I also charge more per bft for wider stock, anything over 12" wide is a premium for example (species vary greatly). Two 6" wide boards totaling 8 bft are cheaper than one 12" wide board that is 8 bft in most cases.

·
Registered
789 Posts
And, if you buy surfaced lumber, you will pay bd/ft based on 1 inch thickness, for example, a surfaced 1 X 12 X 8 feet long is actually 3/4 of an inch thick, but you pay the board feet just like it was a full inch, or 8 board feet. Rough sawn is typically a full inch, like 4/4, and 8/4 is a full 2 inches thick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts