Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a cabinet for a bathroom and built it 27" deep. I have one drawer and have built it 25" deep. I want to put undermount drawer slides on the drawer but I'm wondering if I have to have the exact depth of the slide. 20", 22", or 24". Can I use a 22" o4 24" undermount slide or will it only work with the exact dimensions? I have never used undermount slides so any insight would be a big help. I'm at the point of assembly and that's the last hurdle I have.

Thanks...

·
John
3,028 Posts
I am building a cabinet for a bathroom and built it 27" deep. I have one drawer and have built it 25" deep. I want to put undermount drawer slides on the drawer but I'm wondering if I have to have the exact depth of the slide. 20", 22", or 24". Can I use a 22" o4 24" undermount slide or will it only work with the exact dimensions? I have never used undermount slides so any insight would be a big help. I'm at the point of assembly and that's the last hurdle I have.

Thanks...
Hi I haven't done any undermount slides but seems like you want to size the slide to the cabinet depth minus an inch or so for the rear mounting. :smile:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have used the blum blumotion ones. They are full slide out, and they have to be the depth of the drawer. They give pretty precise measurements for the drawer dimensions. They are sort of quick release, and the front latch sits in the front corners of the bottom of the drawer, and the back is a pin that sticks in the back corner, so they need to be the right size. I think most are like this. If you already had drawers that were say, one inch too long for the slide, you could glue a one inch strip to the bottom back on the inside and pretend it was the back of the box, but then you lose an inch of travel. I think the apothecary listed in my pics has some pictures of them.

PS - Not cheap, but I love those blumotion soft close ones.

·
Old School
24,011 Posts
Most undermount, and side mount slides can be within mounting distance to the back of the cabinet. They should be short (3/4"-1"), as their length to drawer may differ.

The drawer can be shorter than the slide if necessary. Undermount slides can cost 4x what side mounts cost. For example, check the prices of these side mounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.