Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im building an art table for my daughter. Just a basic desk type of design, but instead of a drawer centered on the front, im building it with a sliding top with storage underneath. Center split top with each half sliding outward to their respective sides. My question is: I have some sturdy soft close slides that I took off a desk that was damaged at work. They are 3 months old so naturally I couldn't see them go to the trash. They were side mounted on the desk drawers. Can I use these for the undermount application I intend or are there specific types of slides for undermount? I've looked and dont really see anything definitive, just that regardless of the application they all look the same.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
We have some ordinary metal side drawer slides that were installed the wrong way on the bottom of a kitchen cabinet as undermount slides. On top of them is a board (shelf) that pulls out. We have a kitchen appliance on it. (It is an old cream maker, the kind with a built-in freezer unit.) It is not very high, but it is very awkward and heavy to lift and slide in and out of the shelf, so we tried the pullout idea to make it easier. The appliance and board weigh less than the weight limit of the slides, if they had been installed on the sides of a drawer.

The slide spacing must be absolutely, perfectly matched between the base and the top. Furthermore, they must be perfectly parallel to each other and perfectly perpendicular to the edge. Somehow getting it all correctly done seems easier with side mount slides on drawers.

Bottom line:
It works reasonably well. It is reasonably smooth. We are very careful to be very gentle with it when extended, because it is clearly NOT designed to support the shelf that way. It would be easy to break it through just a small amount of flexing. You can feel the danger, just lifting and replacing the appliance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts