Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a discussion a while back about running dust collection ducts under the floor. While most of the conversation focused on shops with crawl spaces, there were a few posts about ducts under concrete floors. I put a duct under my basement floor to my table saw a few years ago, and just added an extension this past week to a joiner and planer, and it is really not as daunting as it seems.

I took some pics and documented the process:

http://bullfire.net/Dust_Collection/Under Floor Dust Collection.html

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you NEVER, EVER anticipate any water in your basement, then I'd say go for it. But if you ever got water in the PVC, it could be very hard to get it out and it would create a magnet for dust to collect and clog the pipe.

Your work is impressive though. And anyone who looks at chopping out concrete floors as "not too daunting", I have to give kudos. On the jobsite, we leave that to the concrete guys, and leave the room when they are cutting away.

BTW, was that flex PVC or Sealtite you ran for the electric conduit? Around here you cannot run Sealtite in the slab.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
That was an awesome thread you linked to. Very thorough, and impressive. I really like the finished look about it as well. The custom metal fitting was impressive also.

thanks for posting!

·
Registered
95 Posts
WOW!!! - I'm duly impressed!!! Done a few commercial systems - never was an option to run it below grade!! Darn clean installation. Just hope you don't decide to move a tool to another location.....

·
I <3 the smell of sawdust
327 Posts
If I ever move and have enough property to build a big external workshop, I'm dong that. Pretty damn impressive, but wouldn't work very well with a small shop where you have to move tools around.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the comments.

Yes, if there were much chance of moisture getting into the ducts, this might not a good way to go. We have a very dry basement, though, and something like a broken water pipe is probably a bigger risk.

As someone mentioned, this does sort of tie down the machines, but if I really need to move them temporarily, I can, and just extend a flexible pipe to them.

Julie--I don't know if the flex conduit I used is approved for under-slab use here or not. I generally try to adhere to codes, but in this case I had it on hand and used it without checking.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know if the flex conduit I used is approved for under-slab use here or not.
If I can hijack the thread for a second...

After decades of trying to dislodge wires from underground rigid pipe and then easily pulling them out of buried PVC, I'm convinced PVC is the way to go. I've had that "Discussion" with many inspectors over the years. Some are stuck, like a broken record, on installing rigid steel but I never let that dissuade me from making my point. :icon_cheesygrin:
Hijack ended

I just looked at your work again and I'm even more impressed! So you can do sheet metal, metal fabrication, electrical rough & wiring, control wiring, concrete work, painting and woodworking.

I think all you're missing now is a roofer's card - it covers everything. ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Julie--

Yes, I know that if you do this for a living, it normally doesn't pay to get cross-ways with the inspectors. I generally respect the codes, but there are plenty of places where common sense seems to be lacking.

I'll have to give the roofer's card some thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts