Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever want to make a picture frame (or in my case a shadow box with a cabinet door) with unbreakable miter joints? There's a few ways of doing it. You could go out and buy one of those 50 dollar lock miter router bits, or you could do it my way... Splined and pinned miter joint.

Personaly, I like my way better.:yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a cool detail. With the splines like that, IMO, the pins (dowels) are an overkill, and unnecessary. Unless of course you did it that way as a design feature.

Definately a design feature. I was only about 95% sure the joints would hold with a 2' by 3' piece of glass in there. So to eliminate the 5% of doubt and to add a nice feature, I put the dowels through. Now I'm 100% certain the joint won't come apart.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is an easy way to create a real stong joint from something like a weak mitre joint. And really looks awesome with the dowel. A square pin would be nice too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's really a cool miter joint. I would like to use that in the future with your permission???
Permission not needed. That joint/technech has been around for longer years then I even know of. I have seen it on very old pieces. Not trying to rain on anyones parade, but he didn't just invent it. I am 53 yrs old and have used it many times in the past. It has also been done with the spline and then nailed from the back side, or even from the front and then puttied.

Please remember, I'm not trying to offend anyone, but just wanted to set the record straight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciation

Stick - not only strong but a beautiful joint.
Thanks. Its nice to see that some people appreciate a beautiful strong joint, while others seem to think it's not necessary. I like to say all woodworking is about art and the woodworker is the artist. I never work with plans on a project so when I come up with something like this it's nice to hear that some people like it too.....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks. Its nice to see that some people appreciate a beautiful strong joint, while others seem to think it's not necessary. I like to say all woodworking is about art and the woodworker is the artist. I never work with plans on a project so when I come up with something like this it's nice to hear that some people like it too.....
I have to agree with that statement. What's the sense of doing woodworking if it isn't going to look good. Personaly I like to see pic's of things you guys make because it gives me inspiration. I'm with you, Stick, I don't use plans either. I will look at them, but usually end up making it my way anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All about the jigs...

Navy,
I first built a box out of plywood that would slip over my fence. The fit is just loose enough so it slides, but with no play from side to side. From there I built a jig that I can clamp to the sliding box-over that is in the shape of a "V". That would allow the frame to sit in the "V" of the jig while I ran it through the saw blade. If you do a google search for "spline jig" and click images, you'll see what I'm talking about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts