Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was going hunting yesterday and I could smell walnut. On my way out I found these huge logs! The landowner was splitting them and using them for firewood!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! So today I stopped him and asked him If I could have them he said to take whatever I wanted so I took 3! Look at these puppy's!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cabinetman said:
Looks great, what a find. If you can cut up or resaw, you have some nice wood. Can't beat the cost even for twice the price. If nothing else they could make some nice yard stools. .
thanks! He said he had the whole tree and has been cutting it up!!!!!!!! And even worse!!!! Burning it!!!!!!!!! I think I will spin them..
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
7,222 Posts
Very nice find, they look to be 16 - 18in dia. You should be able to get some nice sized bowls from these sections. :thumbsup:

If you have an air chisel, it can make it very fast to remove the bark. I saw this on a video. Brrrrppppp and it is off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave Paine said:
Very nice find, they look to be 16 - 18in dia. You should be able to get some nice sized bowls from these sections. :thumbsup: If you have an air chisel, it can make it very fast to remove the bark. I saw this on a video. Brrrrppppp and it is off.
Yup I guessed 18-20 but I'm not sure yet. I hope I can get some nice ones! I'll update this thread as I spin them... Never tried an air chisel! Would be cool though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wood shavings said:
JJ nice find might want to seal the ends to prevent splitting. Are you planning on turning them green or are you going to twice turn them. Jerry
Unfortunately I do not have any sealer.... So I will pray over night that they don't crack before Monday! I need some garbage bags is what I need lol.

I will turn them green. As in school I don't have enough time to twice turn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bonanza35 said:
Great score! Take that dude a bowl and see how many more logs he'll give you! I can't wait to see what you do with it.
Thanks! I sure will! The landowner is actually my second cousin. And my grandparents are his neighbors. I talked to his wife about them. And she said I could take as much as I wanted. I told her it would return a bowl to her but I'm not sure she really understood. Hahahaha. He gets a lot of wood in. He has a wood burner to heat his house and he has a wood splitter. So he just splits it right up. Well I told him. There is no good reason these logs should ever be split!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tcarter76 said:
Be sure to make the guy a nice bowl as a thank you. Great score!
Oh yes! I might go ahead and make them 2... Thank you! Like I said I was overjoyed when they said I could take them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
BTW It cracks me up that you found the wood by smell. I have this image of you intently following a game trail then sharply turning into the wind to follow the scent of fresh wood. Only a woodturner! Lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bonanza35 said:
BTW It cracks me up that you found the wood by smell. I have this image of you intently following a game trail then sharply turning into the wind to follow the scent of fresh wood. Only a woodturner! Lol.
Hahhahahaha so true!!! I was walking in to the woods bow in hand and it hit my nose. So I stopped found the source and was immediately excited! Lol the next morning I walked past it again and once again the great smell got me. Didn't get any deer but I was more excited that I got those logs!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wood shavings said:
JJ nice find might want to seal the ends to prevent splitting. Are you planning on turning them green or are you going to twice turn them. Jerry
Put them in some large garbage bags today. My whole car smells like walnut!!
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top