Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was going hunting yesterday and I could smell walnut. On my way out I found these huge logs! The landowner was splitting them and using them for firewood!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! So today I stopped him and asked him If I could have them he said to take whatever I wanted so I took 3! Look at these puppy's!

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cabinetman said:
Looks great, what a find. If you can cut up or resaw, you have some nice wood. Can't beat the cost even for twice the price. If nothing else they could make some nice yard stools. .
thanks! He said he had the whole tree and has been cutting it up!!!!!!!! And even worse!!!! Burning it!!!!!!!!! I think I will spin them..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave Paine said:
Very nice find, they look to be 16 - 18in dia. You should be able to get some nice sized bowls from these sections. :thumbsup: If you have an air chisel, it can make it very fast to remove the bark. I saw this on a video. Brrrrppppp and it is off.
Yup I guessed 18-20 but I'm not sure yet. I hope I can get some nice ones! I'll update this thread as I spin them... Never tried an air chisel! Would be cool though!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wood shavings said:
JJ nice find might want to seal the ends to prevent splitting. Are you planning on turning them green or are you going to twice turn them. Jerry
Unfortunately I do not have any sealer.... So I will pray over night that they don't crack before Monday! I need some garbage bags is what I need lol.

I will turn them green. As in school I don't have enough time to twice turn

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bonanza35 said:
Great score! Take that dude a bowl and see how many more logs he'll give you! I can't wait to see what you do with it.
Thanks! I sure will! The landowner is actually my second cousin. And my grandparents are his neighbors. I talked to his wife about them. And she said I could take as much as I wanted. I told her it would return a bowl to her but I'm not sure she really understood. Hahahaha. He gets a lot of wood in. He has a wood burner to heat his house and he has a wood splitter. So he just splits it right up. Well I told him. There is no good reason these logs should ever be split!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bonanza35 said:
BTW It cracks me up that you found the wood by smell. I have this image of you intently following a game trail then sharply turning into the wind to follow the scent of fresh wood. Only a woodturner! Lol.
Hahhahahaha so true!!! I was walking in to the woods bow in hand and it hit my nose. So I stopped found the source and was immediately excited! Lol the next morning I walked past it again and once again the great smell got me. Didn't get any deer but I was more excited that I got those logs!!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.