Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife was staining one of my class projects with a dark mahogany stain - oil based.

Unfortunately, one of my other finished projects was close by. It's a pine out door bench with 7 coats of lacquer.

During her staining, she somehow managed to get dark stain splattered on my bench.

Is there any way to get the stain off the lacquered bench without sanding?

I've already sanded the bench to remove the stain and reapplied lacquer.

I'm wondering for next time - I know there is going to be a next time LOL

Thanks as always in advance

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nope don't think so, you did what was needed. You did what I would have done.

Reactions: new2woodwrk

·
Registered
26,207 Posts
If you get an oil stain on any dry film finish you should be able to wipe it off with a rag wet with paint thinner.

What kind of lacquer did you use on the bench? Nearly all lacquer finishes are for interior use even if you use the bench somewhere where it doesn't get rained on. Lacquer dries so hard it can't deal with the extra wood movement of being outdoors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use mineral spirits to get dry stain off my workbench, but that's unfinished wood. I'd guess it wouldn't harm lacquer or water based finishes, but would affect oil based finishes (in fact I know from experience that mineral spirits will remove oil based paints that have been dry for decades).

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you get an oil stain on any dry film finish you should be able to wipe it off with a rag wet with paint thinner.

What kind of lacquer did you use on the bench? Nearly all lacquer finishes are for interior use even if you use the bench somewhere where it doesn't get rained on. Lacquer dries so hard it can't deal with the extra wood movement of being outdoors.

Ok, what Steve said, let me know if it works............:nerd2:

Reactions: new2woodwrk
1 - 5 of 5 Posts