Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, complete beginner here. I am really motivated to start my first project here which is a toss up between a shot glass rack or an entertainment stand. I did a lot of reading up on the shot glass rack and believe I have a good plan on how to build it from a hardwood but when it comes down to the entertainment stand I am drawing a blank on what to make it out of.

I see a lot of talk of plywood use (birch/oak) but I can't find some of those small details on the web of how to work with it. Can plywood be planed or jointed? Or is the wood typically square already? Just buy, cut to dimension and start putting your project together?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Plywood can't be effectively planed or jointed, but normally isn't out of square anyhow if you buy quality plywood. I'd look for a lumber yard or hardwood supplier and try to avoid big box retailer plywood.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you decide to use plywood-

Here is a nice guide to making a rip guide for plywood if you are buying in sheets. This will help make sure your cuts are straight and accurate.

If you have your lumber yard rip the sheets down for you, then all you need to make is a 4 foot guide, you won't need the full 8' guide.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you decide to use plywood-

Here is a nice guide to making a rip guide for plywood if you are buying in sheets. This will help make sure your cuts are straight and accurate.

If you have your lumber yard rip the sheets down for you, then all you need to make is a 4 foot guide, you won't need the full 8' guide.

Good luck!
That's a great idea. thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Plywood is the way to go for your project. It is as simple as cutting the pieces to size and putting things together. The cutting guide is a great thing to have and I use mine regularly to break down sheet goods.

As you can see from the plans you linked, any exposed plywood edges are covered up by the face frame. This is how most cabinet and panel type construction is done.

Good luck in your project, feel free to ask questions along the way, you'll get a lot of great advice, and usually several different opinions on how to accomplish what you're after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts