Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I wanted to start this thread to provide some insight into our efforts to bring our Woodmizer WM1000 sawmill into operation just outside of Austin, TX.

We own a custom furniture company which specializes in large dining tables. We do a lot of live edge stuff and walnut is one of our most popular species. Locally in TX, our clients really love native TX pecan which we salvage and re-purpose. However, we've been aimed at scaling up our efforts with an immense focus on trying to get more awareness to Texans about the benefits of urban lumber. Simply said, essentially no one in Texas has a primary mission to save trees that are dead, dying or must be removed and re-purpose them into usable materials for all to enjoy. For reference, in 2011, we lost over 300M trees due to an extreme drought!

So we made it our investment goal over the last few years to build the largest cut capacity mill in TX and it has paid off (or maybe paid off for Woodmizer...:wink2:). We had Woodmizer build us a WM1000 which is manufactured in Poland. We recently took delivery and are in the process of setting everything up. I'll try to post weekly to this thread to keep everyone informed of our progress and any challenges. Very little information exists about the WM1000.

What is the WM1000?

Our mill is build to a 67" cut capacity (largest in TX and the southern US).
Our sawmill head lone weighs ~8000 lbs.
Our entire sawmill with rails, gantry, and the truss system will be 24,000 lbs.
It has a massive Seimens 50hp / 480 V motor which we are powering through a clean natural gas/propane 70kW generator.
The sawmill head measures 14.5 feet wide.
Bandsaw wheels are a massive at ~48 inches in diameter.

Mid-2018 is when we are adding full log hydraulic controls until the we will leverage our 9-ton crane truck, forklift and Terex backhoe for loading and turning.

Thanks and I'll post a few to catch up to where we stand today.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after we took delivery last month, we started to work on the foundation. Considering 24,000 lbs in steel along with ~5,000 - 10,000 lb logs, you really need to consider the engineering of your foundation. We decided to built it with two very large footers (24" wide x 24" deep with rebar supports). We ended up pouring 10 cubic yards of 4000 PSI concrete. We designed it for a 67" cut capacity but also to provide room for our future hydraulic log controls. So this means that we are supporting the rails about 24" off the ground with large I-beam steel columns with CNC-d plates for mounting. There are a total of 20 columns located on center every 42". Our rails are 30 feet long which is going to handle every the largest trunks that we see here.

We used W8x24 I-beams which have a 0.375 web thickness. We then had 1/2" thick steel CNC cut for out top and bottom plates along with mounting holes.

We are using 60 lbs ASCE rails for the gantry system. More to come here and we are trying to dry fit everything end of this week.

We've completed fabrication of the 20 columns at this point. And we are nearing dry fit assembly of everything.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Wish you would have built it a little farther north LOL

I have been getting my hardwood lumber from Philips in DeKalb, but the next time I need a load i will check with you, and make a trip to the hill country

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
WOW!!! Drool, Drool!!!! Super COOL!!!!

I ordered me a Cook's Supersaw 52" in Aug ......thought that was wide...Not to the 1000....JUST got a email Monday they decided to cancel my order due to "...the engineering dept doesn't think they can meet my needs...." LOL (better than CRYING)....I've done sold my other mill under value to move !!! due to all the specs I was given and they'd ok'd I was to have the mill first week in Dec ...I've requested from the sales rep 3 times to speak with the owners (brothers) with NO success.

Back to your saw....WOW !!! I can't wait to see the beautiful slabs cut from there!!!! Keep us posted!!! CONGRATS!!!!

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks and we are also super excited. Had this on the "capital equipment" list for over 3 years now, and we've worked very hard to make this a reality. Of course, we run a for profit business, but both Aaron and I (we both co-own TX Urban Sawmill LLC) have an immense passion for trying to bring more awareness to all the amazing benefits of urban and even rural tree salvaging. Our goal is to actually get more and more people involved and more local sawmills running in Texas.

For those interest, we have a really nice video which is a great introduction into what we are trying to accomplish here in Texas and ideally it becomes a model for more to replicate across the US.

TX Urban Sawmill Re-use Video

I'll try to post some more pictures in the next few days. Which just got finished dry fitting the rails and columns.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So a few more updates. We've complete "stage I" of the column fabrication and have the mill rails level within 0.1 degrees from both side to side and along the length of each 30 foot rail. I'm eager to see if we can mill 1/8" veneer within a tight tolerance from our logs. I have some creative furniture ideas on that end. Needless to say, we have been super critical about getting everyone square and parallel. Probably more so than needed but that's the engineer in me.

We've welded all the "arms" which ultimately support the I-beam cross members. These are the supports that the logs will ultimately rest on.

Our main challenge at the moment is retapping our 70kW generator for 480V. I underestimated this effort. Oh well. Hopefully are parts will arrive by January. There is apparently a 6-8 week lead time on the parts required for the retap. Lesson learned there. We could have been working on this end over 6 months ago. Bad project management on my part!

Probably won't see any more updates till after New Years. We wish everyone a very, very Merry Xmas!!!

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
OH YEAH !!!!!!drool !!!!, drool!!!! I think my keyboard may have to be replaced now!!!!

I made a road trip and worked things out for my Cooks 52" superwide.No where near that size though...JUST WOW!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I made a road trip and worked things out for my Cooks 52" superwide.No where near that size though...JUST WOW!!!!

Really glad to hear you got that all squared away Tim.
I have to say my curiosity as to what was going on with them is peaked.
Feel like I missed a couple episodes of the Soap Opra.

·
where's my table saw?
29,404 Posts
Me also

Really glad to hear you got that all squared away Tim.
I have to say my curiosity as to what was going on with them is peaked.
Feel like I missed a couple episodes of the Soap Opra
You mean the Super Saw Opera? :surprise2:
Opra has the TV show you know.... :|
You must be a charming dude there Tim, to pull off what sounded like it was dead in the water from over here. :wink2:
Did you speak to the sales rep at all on this trip and if so what did he have to say? OR did the sale rep mostly stand in the way through the whole process?

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH YEAH !!!!!!drool !!!!, drool!!!! I think my keyboard may have to be replaced now!!!!

Tim, glad to hear that you worked on the 52". Funny, I never realized Cooks produced that saw or the 62". Those are wide cuts. I used a Hudson ~52" several years ago. As long as you took your time, it cut just fine. I think over 2 days that we were able to cut 12 large logs. I'm sure the Cooks as a better quality build. Love to see your 1st cut pics.

Dev

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
You know there will be lore of the Texas Urban Sawmill Massacre. You'll of course need some Canadian redhead named Nel to tie down and a villain named Snideley. Is there a Dudley in the house?
I know of a fairly large hackberry that needs removed in Irving. I used to live there, but the old woman died and the place was sold. As far as I know the tree is still there growing between the sidewalk and the curb..
Yeah, not quite as exciting as it is in my feeble imagination. ;)

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Tim, glad to hear that you worked on the 52". Funny, I never realized Cooks produced that saw or the 62". Those are wide cuts. I used a Hudson ~52" several years ago. As long as you took your time, it cut just fine. I think over 2 days that we were able to cut 12 large logs. I'm sure the Cooks as a better quality build. Love to see your 1st cut pics.

Dev
Thanks Dev and I will post pics once operating.

They just came out/released design with the Super Saw in the last several months....somewhere around July/ Aug. This one is a basic machine, NOT designed for a high production as the Woodmizer 1000 or Cook's other saws...it is a specific use, specialized sawmill for cutting perfection in wide stock over high production....more for a second saw where you need some wide cuts or log break-downs BUT NOT enough to justify the 1000's price tag. It is designed with higher/heavier specs and tolerances than the Hud-son EXCEPT the base track...it may be stronger BUT my visual questioned specs....... BUT UNLESS I'm daily loading long 52" logs on it with high weight, everything will be fine.

Others, thanks BUT I don't want to hijack this thread.... BUT Dev has probably already had to do this advice OR will soon in his business adventure.....SO I'll give it anyway.....

SOMETIMES we have to swallow our pride (rather we're right or wrong) and work out the deal....Bottom line is we have to figure out IF we are losing MORE or gaining MORE in the LONG run future.

The Cook's (brothers and father) have dedicated their lives to improving common sawing issues to improve the perfection of better production and sawmill operating performance (NOT just for themselves BUT others also). I highly recommend ANYONE with a sawmill to go and read ALL the free information the brothers have freely given to the public to improve a mill's performance. I , nor they, care what brand you own...it is about getting the max performance from your mill/resaw/blades. I had a Hud-son and done all the tweaking Cook's info recommended and improved the quality as far as the base machine would allow. In our deal, WE HAD a verbage difference ( I've always been told all my life I had a DEMANDING voice BUT I always thought I was just speaking) that is common with perfectionists when WE speak/do business together....BOTH have the same goal, we just use different words/terms causing personalities to clash. WE as a whole had to work TOGETHER for a compromise and resolution. Again THANKS Tim Cook for working with me.

Again Dev....ALWAYS love pics!!!

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TX Urban Sawmill is up and running!

So sorry for the long delay in updates. Once we got operating, we immediately jumping into massive tree salvage efforts from all the Hurricane Harvey destruction. Good news is that we're getting some positive energy from such a devastating natural disaster. More on those efforts later.

I wanted to share some pictures of our sawmill, milling and salvage efforts. We welcome all visitors. And we are immensely community focused with many efforts aimed at donating, sponsoring and giving back to our local communities.

Worth checking out http://txurbansawmill.com and calling for an tour / appointment.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure why the pictures are linking.....sorry. Trying to drag and drop some. Random photos from our mill to our salvaged efforts across Texas. Been a lot of hard work with only much more to come!

Attachments

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey folks!

Just wanted to let folks know that after years of hard work and focus on building up a community and people focused people that the Texas Urban Sawmill has our 1st kiln cycle of salvaged Huricane Harvey slabs coming no later than April 2019!

So I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I haven't paid myself since starting this venture but hope to give my hard working wife some relief next year. But I'll remain committed to re-investing in the business as the Neighborhood Sawmill of Central Texas. We hope to bring more like minded sawyers into the boutique sawmill industry in Texas. And I am going to offer more reasonable prices for Texas hardwoods including pecan.

Oh, we do offer milling to the general public. We run both our stationary Woodmizer WM1000 and just recently invested in a portable Baker 3665D sawmill for both on-site and portable milling.

Thanks! And feel free to call, email or text to schedule an appointment. We love to meet folks and just talk wood & sawmills!

http://txurbansawmill.com/dir/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/WM1000-w-Pecan-1000x563-144dpi-w-Logo.png

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts