Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since I posted here on WWT, too much fun (or yardwork!) this summer. :laughing:

We were disappointed that the RMWT wood turning symposium was cancelled today, but with the water running everywhere in Northern Colorado we certainly understand. Here are a pair of rings we made for the show. This is some premium Two-Tone Amboyna Burl with some awesome figure and coloration. There's Amboyna and then there's AMBOYNA!

These are size 8 and size 11, finished with EEE and a light coat of tung oil. The metal is 316 SS. C&C welcome! Thanks for looking, Eric

Attachments

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I have made your bangles and very satisfied with their success.

You have had a caveat in the past about calling these wedding rings. You had some concerns about daily wear and tear. Do you have some adjusted guidelines on the long term wear on the rings?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have had a caveat in the past about calling these wedding rings. You had some concerns about daily wear and tear. Do you have some adjusted guidelines on the long term wear on the rings?
I have been wearing an Amboyna Burl wedding ring for about two months now and it has held up well (not the one in this picture). I do wash my hands with it on, although I would not recommend getting your nice ring creations wet. I periodically wipe on some Ren Wax or tung oil just to add a little protection to the wood. Of course wood will not hold up compared to gold or silver, so extra care will be required.

I am still working on different finishes, and am not able to recommend the ideal finish just yet.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
How about calling them love rings. Then you can give them to whomever, children, sisters, friends, etc. those you tend to put on when your going somewhere special and take off when you wash your hands or do dishes. Wedding rings imply that you never remove them. Also opens up a much larger market.
It was great meeting you at SWAT. I have several friends who buy your products and I probably will will the occasion arrives.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts