Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,479 Posts
Exzatly

+1 on scarf joints, much depends on the application, if there is side load or not
Wood with a vertical load is in compression, and a joint that has shoulders like a lap or a finger joint will be best, since strength is not relying entirely on the glue bond.

A member that is under shear, or side loading, is more difficult to make secure, but again, a long lap joint or finger joint will be best since the long grain glue bond is stronger in shear.

End grain to end grain joinery has very little strength, if any and that would be from the glue alone, not from the wood structure. So minimize the end grain condition and increase the long grain area for a stronger joint.

·
where's my table saw?
31,479 Posts
A member that is under shear, or side loading, is more difficult to make secure, but again, a long lap joint or finger joint will be best since the long grain glue bond is stronger in shear.
There are 2 ways to orient a half lap under a side load.

One way is so the butted ends face the load, the other is where the long side pieces face the load. I would agree in the first case that there is only a half board thickness to resist the load, but in the second case, there is sufficient long rain surface to be as strong as the board itself. Agreed? :blink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.