Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I finally got around to building a table saw extension........which was badly needed........and whipped up some cauls for table top glue ups.....however I ripped a 2x4 down the center.....i'm not sure they have enough strength...We'll see later this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
A table saw wing and a.....?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Thanks Ryan. I should have recognized the caul.

Why you gotta go and make me think?!!

:)

So the second project was the top?

How's it look so far?

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That was definitely time well spent. Especially the table saw extension. What an improvement that makes. You'll thank yourself every time you use your TS.

I was sure glad when I made mine. It annoyed me from the get-go that a table saw would be sold with a big open area at the end, so that you have these two fence rails that extend off into space. So I quickly got tired of it and made my extension fairly soon after getting my current table saw a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I dis that recently also and I'm so glad I did.

Nice work!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pine cauls made from 2x4's ripped down the center.......wide enough to do a 36 inch top......not a good idea. When tightened down, the cauls bend and allow the center to pop up......I think i'll cut them down and see if they work for a smaller top.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might want to try putting a camber (or bow) on the clamping face of those cauls. The Wood Whisperer has some good info on this (just search for "cambered cauls").

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good idea. Otherwise I was thinking I'd pickup either some hardwood or steel to make some better ones.

In retrospect, pine was laying around and I was feeling cheap.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I used 1x1 aluminum angles on the last panel glue up I did and they worked out very nicely.

Wooden cawls definitely need to have a convex face against the panel in order to work. There is a formula around somewhere to find the correct curve for the length of the cawl. The suggestion to search the Wood Whisperer's site is prehaps a good place to start looking.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A 1/8" x 1" deep kerf in the two outer edges with a 1/8 x 1 inch steel strap driven in the kerfs may strengthen enough to do 36 inches using clamps. If not, more preparation or material selection may be needed on the top material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts