Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to talk about these two routers.

image-2570667690.png

DeWalt 611

image-1105792480.jpg

Porter Cable 450

I have the 450. Had my first chance tonight to put it through its paces. I really like it. Not recommending it over others. Just like where it fits in my work. Not too small. Not to big. Does many of the smaller jobs my 690 used to do. Perfect fit between trim and full sized.

Lamented over which one to buy a few weeks ago. Liked the square sided base on the DeWalt but didn't think a small router needed more than one speed. Wish the PC had the little light. Bought the DeWalt base and put it on my PC but was unable to use the PC template guides with that base. had to switch back to the round PC base.

image-683384557.jpg

Does DeWalt have a set of guides that fit their bases?

I absolutely hate the switch! Made for a 7 year old finger and the dust cover has got to go.

How do you guys feel about yours? Thinking about buying one? Care to comment? Good bad and the ugly.

Al B Thayer

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a good case for a hight gauge on the 450.

image-2262980648.jpg

This is just a guess. The bushing is to on the same plane as the base. Keeps it from coming loose.

image-3334647307.jpg

Micro accurate.

Al

·
John
3,028 Posts
Both nice routers. All things being equal, I would elect to go with the deWalt just because Black and Decker makes both but is keeping the dewalt as it's flagship brand and positioning the Porter Cable name in the high end DIY market. Probably why the deWalt has the lights.
For bases, I just make my own. I have both Porter Cable style bushings and Lee Valley style bushings that run from 3/8" to 1-1/2" in 1/8" increments so I usually need to make at least one base no matter which way I go. There are places that will make specialty bases though, Woodhaven and Pat Warner are two that come to mind. :smile:

"This is just a guess. The bushing is to on the same plane as the base. Keeps it from coming loose."

More likely, the bushing is counter bored flush to the base so you don't have the "step" in the middle of the base that can snag on a template and it would also make the router more prone to rocking.

Reactions: jharris2

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jschaben said:
Both nice routers. All things being equal, I would elect to go with the deWalt just because Black and Decker makes both but is keeping the dewalt as it's flagship brand and positioning the Porter Cable name in the high end DIY market. Probably why the deWalt has the lights.
For bases, I just make my own. I have both Porter Cable style bushings and Lee Valley style bushings that run from 3/8" to 1-1/2" in 1/8" increments so I usually need to make at least one base no matter which way I go. There are places that will make specialty bases though, Woodhaven and Pat Warner are two that come to mind. :smile:

"This is just a guess. The bushing is to on the same plane as the base. Keeps it from coming loose."

More likely, the bushing is counter bored flush to the base so you don't have the "step" in the middle of the base that can snag on a template and it would also make the router more prone to rocking.

Either way the bushing should fit both bases. For the yoyo guys it's going to require something else to set the depth.

While B and D are the owners of both. It's a stretch to say they make the PC tools. PC has a line of dumbed down tool sold at box stores but the best tools they make are rarely found at the box stores.

I would say the speed settings and light are a DIY drawing card that may not hold up in a cabinet shop. Both are the same price as I've seen.

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts