Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Twin size bed in maple.

Hi gang,

I've been quiet on the forum for a few months, a very busy summer kept me outside instead of on the internets (for shame!). Luckily I was able to fit some shop time in there and thought I'd post a project I finally finished, after an on-again off-again build that lasted most of the summer. I managed to grab a few pics of the process:

Everything is made from maple.

After milling the headboard and footboard rails to the basic shapes, and cutting tenons, I did a mock-up of the slat spacing on wanted and laid out all my mortices.

Cut all the mortices on the flat side, and then (much more challenging) on the curved top rail.

With the mortices cut for the slats, I milled the posts to size and laid out the mortices in those.

Final milling of the slats to length, half rounded edges, cut to length and ready to dry fit.

Finally taking shape, the head/foot boards dry fit and ready for detailing.

Posts with rounded tops and all edges hit with a round over.

Didn't take any pictures of fabricating the rails, but they are pretty basic. shallow M&T joint with bolts (so that it can be disassembled). Here's the little fella helping dad with the fit-up.

Made some railings, which will be semi-temporary, to keep him from falling out of bed. these attach to the inside of the bed-rails so once removed there's no visible attachment point.

Finally, time to finish. I applied a healthy coat of Danish Oil, followed by 4 coats of Arm-R-Seal semi gloss with a steel wool rub down between every coat. Very happy with how the finish turned out. A little more detail on the bed rails in this picture:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished Product

New Bed Day! Somebody is excited!

Assembly:

Top it off with a homemade quilt (by grandma).

He's been sleeping in it for a couple weeks and doing great with the transition to a real bed. A very rewarding project, and I'm sure something that will be in use one way or another for many years to come.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's terrific... I enjoy seeing projects that utilize the skill of more than one family member. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts