Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

I live in Houston. No one needs a fireplace in Houston, but I'm unwilling to tear it out.

I've decided to wrap the fireplace and hearth, and mount my tv there.

I have some rough sketchup images that'll attach.

My TV is 88 lbs.

Two things I'm trying to figure out.

1) I don't want the front, where the tv is to be hung, to pull forward or bow forward.
2) I want the TV to stay attached. I'm thinking some sort of reinforcement from behind is needed. And then the TV mount would bolt through that reinforcement.

I've also attached a photo of my existing setup. As you can see from the existing mantel, the front will of the wrap will not be able to push flush to the wall or stone. Also, I've noted that one of the insets to either side is not as wide as the other. Plus I need some room to run cables back there.

I feel it will be pretty sturdy standing upright on it's on as the sides have a lot of contact with the floor. I might even make the whole thing just wide enough to mount small casters under the 4 corners on the floor for easy roll out if needed. The face with the tv on it will go all the way to hearth.

How would you go about reinforcing this? I have a toddler at home, so safety is paramount.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and i could use either some L brackets, or full length L angle iron on the back, at the corner where the face meets the sidewalls. I certainly don't want any separation at those joints as the tv weight will be pulling forward on the front. But I don't exactly want to run screws through the face and into the end grain of the sides.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
If you are using 3/4" ply I do not see the need for any reinforcement on the back. You can bolt the TV directly to the plywood. However, if it makes you feel better then put in the two 2x4s.

The weight of the TV is going to be in a downward direction. The force vector of gravity is 90 degrees to the earth. There is no static force that will be pulling the TV or any of the structure forward. That is unless you build the structure with a forward lean. The only thing that would cause a forward force would be someone or some thing pulling on it.

Again, if it makes you feel better, then just glue in a 2x2 in each front corner. A very simple operation.

George

PS. Very nice sketches by the way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I'm now trying to figure out the best way to joint where the face meets the side on the upper portion.

Part of me really wants to miter that entire joint, but this creates some issue of what happens when I reach the lower 1/3 where the solid piece of ply now juts forward. That leaves me just the butt joint. I could use dowels along the length of those two joints and edge band the exposed end... That might actually be the best way. I don't want any screws from the front showing.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
The plan you show will be a free-standing wrap and can be butted to the existing wall without need to make a permanent attachment unless you just want to.
No one will know it's a movable piece unless you point it out to them.
The idea of placing a board on the back to make a channel for any cords is good, but it doesn't need to be 1 1/2" thick unless you just feel the need to use a 2 X 4. A 1 X 2" will accomplish the same thing (room for wiring).
You could put a fake drawer on the front of the lower part that covers the hearth to further the disguise.
No more romantic evenings in front of the fireplace?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The plan you show will be a free-standing wrap and can be butted to the existing wall without need to make a permanent attachment unless you just want to.
The idea of placing a board on the back to make a channel for any cords is good, but it doesn't need to be 1 1/2" thick unless you just feel the need to use a 2 X 4. A 1 X 2" will accomplish the same thing (room for wiring).
You could put a fake drawer on the front of the lower part that covers the hearth to further the disguise.
Ugh that stupid fireplace!!

Not only that, but it's vent-less... which freaks me out.. I end up opening all of the windows whenever we turn it on for fear of falling asleep forever... even though I know that would probably never happen. :grin:

At Christmas, we turn it on once or twice, but we have to move the stockings because all of the heat unloads directly up and out of the fireplace. I'm nervous a stocking is going to catch on fire...and certainly any chocolate in there melts in a hurry! It's kind of comical.

I just don't know what to tell the kiddo about where Santa now comes through... I guess in today's day and age, he comes in through an HDMI cable, or he uses amazon as Santa's helper or something...

But on the other hand, the TV and the sound system we use almost daily.. well she does, I don't watch as much tv, but it would be nice to have my sound stage set like it was meant to be. In the plan, the two large dark grey area's would be a hinged frame covered in acoustic fabric, with a floorstanding speaker and a subwoofer behind each, properly spaced.

The units you see in the real photo, actually belonged to the previous owner, I offered to buy them at move in as we didn't have any furniture that fit the area, but I despise seeing all the junk through the glass panels.. I would much prefer a nice, clean look without much showing anything in the way of DVD's, game controllers, spare stuff. And I figure two nice cabinets to the far outsides would give me plenty of space for kids games, toys, chutes and ladders, kids dvd's that will inevitably gather

In the front, I plan to use a pair of lift down hinges (not swing down) to reveal the AV unit, Play station, Cable Box when in use (essentially they would be on top of the hearth, but encased in cabinet with dividers between each compartment). Put it back up when not in use. I'll have to engineer in some computer case fans and a small powersupply to keep air moving through that area.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Further I agree, I'll likely just push the piece in place, leaving it floorstanding. Although I might use a spacer at the top, and zip one screw into a corner stud of the fireplace edge at the upper portion. Spacers at least.

The areas to the left and right are not the same length. One is 3 inches longer that the other.. and because of the irregularity in the stone work, I've decided to place the left side (when facing) 3 inches from the leftmost portion of the fireplace. That would even the two areas on either side, and easily clear the stone work, and the baseboard at the bottom. The right side would be 1 inch off the wall, clear the stone and the baseboard.

Although, NO wall in this house is straight.. every piece of sheetrock, everywhere, is cupped, or bowed, or just plain old not straight. I might have to shave these blocks to get the sides plumb, but it's happening!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts