Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone - I was asked by a friend to create a short stand (7" x 20" x 48") to raise his TV to fit into his current built ins. He wants the stand to be completed without the use of plywood which then makes me get concerned about wood movement. I have attached a sketchup drawing of the basic box showing which way I was thinking about orienting the wood grain. Do you see any flaws in the basic design at this point?

Also, will there be any issues adding a face frame to the front of the box?

I have attached three drawings.

#1- The basic box structure showing wood grain
#2- The box once trim/face frame is added
#3- Added to built ins

Thank you everyone for the help :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If you are using solid wood, why would you need to add a face frame? You show the center dividers going one way and the ends going the other which will show end grain from the face on the ends. You also show an overhanging top with additional thickness. Seems like it would be easier and more traditional in approach to make the top overhang front and sides, rout the edge if you want, then arrange the ends and center dividers with the grain going vertically. No need for additional trim, just make the drawers. If you want the top to be thicker, make it that way. Use stop dadoes so the dadoes don't show at the front. Bottom would have dadoes for the center dividers, top would have dadoes for center dividers and ends, ends would have dadoes for the bottom.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response. My original thought for the face frame was because end grain is not the prettiest in terms of taking stain. Will adding the frame not allow the wood to move freely? I made a mistake with the grain of the center dividers, new picture attached. Your idea with of routing the top edge does make complete sense though. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I was saying, the center dividers were correct in the original drawing, the ends were wrong. That way there will be no end grain showing. Movement across the width of the lumber will also be in the same direction. If you do it like your second drawing, you have edge grain to crossgrain, if movement becomes an issue, they won't move together or in the same direction. Also, make the top you have in the latest drawing so it overhangs the front and ends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts