Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building around red oak dining table. I'm down to the finishing. I've stained it with Minwax Golden Oak and am going to top coat it with Sher Wood Moisture Resistant Lacquer by Sherwin Williams. A couple of pieces of apron for the table extensions came out considerably darker than the adjoining pieces. Can I lighten them up with a turpentine wash without adversely affecting the Sherwood top coat? Hate to create an adhesion problem.

By the way, when reading the label I don't see anything that looks remotely like lacquer in the ingredients. I see lots of different solvents and "Linseed Alkyd Polymer". It does say to use "lacquer thinner" for thinning.

Thanks for your help.

Don

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
If it was me I would use lacquer thinner to wash the stain off. Lacquer thinner is just a cleaner and stronger solvent. As penetrating as the golden oak stain is I doubt if you will take enough color off to do what you want. It will probably take some sanding and re-stain the wood with a thinned down golden oak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.