Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Property mgmt
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever done it? I have been woodworking for a long time, never have used a lathe. Sometimes i think it might be interesting, but the desire passes.

I have acquired an old socket chisel that needs a new handle. I’m thinking of trying to turn one on my drill press. I figured i would get the blank roughly to size on the table saw, then chuck it up somehow and shape it with rasps and files on the drill press. I could probably find a pen-size lathe on craigslist for not much, but even that is more than i want to spend.

How crazy am i? Here is a picture of the chisel part way through the cleanup process.

Wood Font Metal Fashion accessory Nickel
Musical instrument Wood Font Cylinder Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,677 Posts
My grandfather and his father were carpenters. When they needed a new handle for something, they just made it with whatever wood and hand tools they had access to at the time. Usually, a pocket knife, files, rasps, etc.
You could very well do the same.

·
Registered
Property mgmt
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My grandfather and his father were carpenters. When they needed a new handle for something,
… they went to the full service lumber yard or hardware store that stocked replacement handles.

Which just made me think of something … I wonder if i can find a replacement shovel handle with a tapered end.

·
Registered
Property mgmt
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha!!! Heck yeah it can be done. Using a rasp, it’s a little slow but it works. The drill press was my grandfathers, he used it in WW2 as a machinist. I’m restricted on the length of the wood, wish itvwas about 2” longer. But it‘s good.

Wood Engineering Gas Machine Toolroom
Wood Gas Cylinder Art Baseball bat

·
mike44
retired carpenter and farmer
520 Posts
Anybody ever done it? I have been woodworking for a long time, never have used a lathe. Sometimes i think it might be interesting, but the desire passes.

I have acquired an old socket chisel that needs a new handle. I’m thinking of trying to turn one on my drill press. I figured i would get the blank roughly to size on the table saw, then chuck it up somehow and shape it with rasps and files on the drill press. I could probably find a pen-size lathe on craigslist for not much, but even that is more than i want to spend.

How crazy am i? Here is a picture of the chisel part way through the cleanup process.

View attachment 441424 View attachment 441425
Make two L shaped brackets . Bore 3/16" hole in each bracket in the ends to hold a 16d nail. Find center on ends of extra long work piece and bore 3/16" hole in each end. Push brackets with nail into ends of work. The work will spin on the nails axis. Fasten a strip on top of brackets to keep the brackets together.
Set table saw blade for 1/8" deep cut. Move the bracket contraption over the blade. Then turn the work slightly for another cut. Repeat till the work is round. As an example, if the handle is to be 8" long when done, start with a piece12" or more. This way your hands will not be in danger of the saw blade. Raise blade in 1/8" increments til the work is round
If you want a taper after rounding the work, Undo the top strip, remove one bracket. Bore another hole higher or lower to give you the taper. Reinstall the bracket and top strip and repeat the method .
Some sanding may be needed when the piece is done.
mike

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have turned some small items on a drill press. Even in a hand held electric drill. However, such turnings usually involved small items, low speeds and shaping with rasps, files and sandpaper. I even turned an octagon muzzle loading pistol barrel to. round with a "wedding band" on a drill press. necessity and all that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts