Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turnedon

Rich
I was looking at your profile. We both have the same interests and did the same kind of work. I ran a two color Hoe rotary press for a lot of years before moving into management.

Thanks for your reply on my home made turning tools. The tool with the pipe handle is just a tool with a metal lathe cutter,1/2"x1/2"x4"long. I sharpened it at a 45 degree angle , just like you would sharpen any scraper tool. Then I used a Veritas burnishing tool to put a burr on the edge, thus turning a scraper into a cutting tool, and baby it does cut. I drilled 3 holes on top of the pipe, tapped 3 holes and installed 3, 5/16 "set screws. It is a heavy tool so it cuts very good when I am doing any deep hollowing and has no chatter. The other tools are old files that I made for inboard and outboard cutting. Turned the handles, no ferrules, nothing fancy, very easy to make and would save a guy a lot of money. Probably cost me $6 to make the pipe cutter, but could be made for half that much. Well thanks again Rich and one question for you, if you don't mind? What kind of presses do you have? Are the presses for printing on paper or metal. I was in metal decorating. Maybe we could keep in touch about our turnings? Check mine out in my gallery, there are six pages in there. Of course, that is if you want to.:thumbsup: Mitch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Home made tools

Hi Mitch, thanks for your reply. the presses I have are for paper.
I have a 2-color and a 1-color. I will try to post some of my turnings if I can figure it out. Also will try to make some tools. I will look at your turnings today.

Rich from NH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts