4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever turned a palm.
Dont know the species, but I could find out if it sounds promising

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,445 Posts
Sounds excruciatingly painful. Where do you find people willing to have their hands turned on a lathe?
Ok..no..never worked with palm..Seems like it would be really fiberous..

Reactions: Tony B

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The trunks of palms I've cut down on my property are like a very tight bundle of straw. You might be able to use stabilizing processes to fill it with resin and then turn the plastic/palm material, but I very much doubt the raw material wood hold together on a lathe.

·
Super Moderator
4,211 Posts
Tony - I have a chunk of "date palm" drying out to make a Tiki Head with grinders.
it is very fibrous and will not hold up in a wood lathe without some very ingenious mounting.
I have seen resin saturated (stabilized) palm in small pieces for turning.
yeah, more info needed on just what you have (photos) might help.

Reactions: Tony B

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
THANKS GUYS
That completely answered my questions

@John Smith_inFL

I dont have them in my possession. They are about 1/4 mile away on a golf course that has been shut down to make way for some unknown construction project. Word is that it may be added on to an RV park or may be housing or an apartment. Owner is somewhat secretive about it. He owns the RV park I am living in. He also filled in about a dozen ponds and is leveling the land.
So much for my view.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
I've turned black palm. It is a pain, wouldn't turn any more of it. I turned a peppermill with it. The blank was a gift from my sister in law. She went to the local Woodcraft store where they all know me and asked the owner for something that would be a challenge to turn. Need extremely sharp tools and take very fine cuts save it chips easily. Sanding is a little more painstaking. I ended up buffing it after sanding to a very fine grit and it had a glasslike finish.
Mike Hawkins

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank Mike
That should be the last nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Thanks Mike! I have various turning pieces of black palm that I bought when a club member retired from woodworking. I have been eyeing them warily and will get to them eventually. Your hints certainly help. The largest piece is about 3 x 3 x 15 inches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts