Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mounted on my variable speed Jet floor lathe a 7-1/2" X 3-1/2" chunk of walnut. I want to make a rounded over wheel so to speak, kind of like a blown up inter tube, but not cutting out the center..

I am NEW to turning, I have started, but don't know what speed to use. Don't know how important speed is in turning either? So far it is shaping very slow, is that normal for walnut, or is my tool DULL? I am using the larges spoon/cupped tool that came with the lathe. I kind of think the tools that came with lathe are of fair quality?

I want the round over to be the radius of the chunk, 3-1/2".

Comments are most welcome and needed,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Dale the shape your trying to do is kind of difficult. Here is a video I found. It's called a Torus. You might do other searches. If your in Indianapolis there is a good turning club there. I can give you a link to find them.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks John, I watched the video, I want to turn the outside like he did, but NOT take out the center..

I have since made a contour pattern to assure equal contour.

I am making a locomotive, very art deco, and very different design. I will get my son to help me post pictures of the build in a few days.

Thanks again,

Dale in Indy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts