Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David enlightened me on the "paper bag glue" thing. I tried it and it worked. Only downside is it takes overnight for the glue to dry. (My choice). I recently made some recipe boxes out of Zebrawood, they look good, so I said "What would a bowl look like." Now the cringe part. I opted to use a 4" steel faceplate and a trick I tought myself a few years ago, to turn the bowl.
>>> Center the plate on the bottom of the bowl. Install 2 small screws. Remove the screws. Have HMG ready to go. With a propane torch, warm the faceplate to about 140 degrees, Quickly put a couple small rings HMG on the bowl bottom, quickly place the faceplate back with the same orientation and reinstall screws, just enough to hold the plate down. A clamp might help here. Let it cool for about an hour and start turning. This is the first time I've tried it on Zebrawood. Oak, pine, etc worked well. Sometimes I even had to heat the faceplate to get it off when I was finished. Stay tuned to this thread to see how far the bowl flies.
Wood Wood stain Box Pencil case Wooden block
I had to use self drilling screws. Zwood pretty hard.

Auto part Wood

This is the bowl as of 10:00 p.m. EST USA, Saturday June 1, 2013.

Wood Machine Tool accessory Machine tool

These things can go a long way at 2000 rpm.

English

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Espanol
La corrección política es una doctrina impulsada por un delirante, ilógico, minoría liberal y rabiosamente promovido por un medios de comunicación sin escrúpulos, que diserta la proposición de que es perfectamente posible para recoger un turd al final limpio.

Australian
A turd's dirty on both ends.
G'day mates.

Reactions: bigcouger

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gary

Heat from the faceplate will help the HMG to get deeper into the wood, and gives a little more time for positioning. As soon as you put a cold faceplate on the HMG it hardens

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up to Warm Faceplate/HMG

The bowl has been turned, needs only finish. The HMG with the warmed faceplate held real well. Next to try the paper bag glue trick with a 12" bloodwood bowl. Jimmy
Bowl Wood Table Tableware Basket

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Wow! Nice bowl. :thumbsup:
I never thought of using hmg and gluing to the plate. I did use the paper joint before and had no problems. Don't do that anymore tho, I invested in chucks--got tired of messing with the glue, much more fun that way.
thinking about trying the segmented build, likely will do that later-when I have enough interesting scraps.
Dave H

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
The paper trick is great. I have been doing that for a long time. I never had a work piece separate. It's amazing that it holds so well while on the lathe, but will come off so clean when you are ready to remove it.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Nice bowl. :thumbsup:
I never thought of using hmg and gluing to the plate. I did use the paper joint before and had no problems. Don't do that anymore tho, I invested in chucks--got tired of messing with the glue, much more fun that way.
thinking about trying the segmented build, likely will do that later-when I have enough interesting scraps.
Dave H
I can never find enough scrap to make even 1 ring/layer of my segmented bowls. I use new boards. If there are more than 1 species they must be planed at the same time to get a flat ring.

Jimmy

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimmy1943/LargeBowl?authkey=Gv1sRgCLT39szdsYjlRQ#5155781201004284290

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Removing face plate

The steel face plate on the zebrawood had to be heated to get it off. Worked well. The 2 other bowls on wood face plates were paper glued. They worked well also. If I had to choose, I prefer the HMG on the warmed face plate due to time restraints. It takes over night for the paper gluetrick to dry. MHO
Jimmy

Countertop Table Room Wood Interior design

1 - 9 of 9 Posts