Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, tried something new the past few weeks. I'd had this cool idea to make a sculpture from a bowl that I cut up. So, from the start, I intended to slice the bowl right up. Given the design, the bowl had to be 12" diameter and 8" deep. Yea that's right, big bowl! So, to get the material, I used a single piece of 8/4" Maple 12"x12". I used a method, don't know if there's a name, which used the parting tool at an angle to give me each consecutive stack. It's hard to explain but basically I cut the center of the blank out and glued it on the opposite side of what I cut out, I did that 4 times to give me 8". Also, given the form I wanted, the bowl needed to essentially go from nothing at the rim to about 3/8" at the base. So, this was a tricky order. Turning it was a success, it was nerve wracking a bit though since I didn't have a tool rest long enough to get way inside the bowl. So, below is a picture of the bowl that got turned. Nothing fancy.

So then I used my GoPro (Fancy video camera) and filmed myself cutting the bowl up on a resaw bandsaw. The video is below.

Pretty cool looking shapes right?! I was quite stoked about the shapes I had just made and the way I could put them together. I had to stick with my original design though. I'm currently in the editing stages of a video that shows assembling the actual sculpture. But for now, I'll just post a picture of the final product. So the cutoffs that I got from the bandsaw, less than half of those is what I actually needed to complete my sculpture. With those, I cut all of those in half so that the thicker part (bottom of the bowl) comes out of the base. See the picture below.

I made it so that it could be hung on the wall at any given direction. The base is contrasting colored sand that I glued down. I will be sure to post the video of assembling it when I'm done. I will also see if I can get a picture of the sculpture's shadows, they are insane when there's a spotlight.

Comments and critques would be greatly appreciated. This is the first ever project, woodworking and turning that I've ever made to be 100% non-functional and purely art.
-Tyler

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tcarter, I'm currently trying to get a video edited to show the assembling of the piece which also has a short segment in it with the camera looking at the piece from several angles. It might not be till later tonight I can finish it though. For now I'll get another pic up. Give me 5 minutes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Cool art work! Very creative, like the black and white colors. It will be perfect on a modern and minimalist themed interiors. Great job!

·
Registered
114 Posts
bowl lathe

There is a product called a "Ringmaster Bowl Lathe" which is designed to do what you have done. I lets you cut rings from a flat board and stack them up. make bowls, vases etc. Cool idea turning a bowl and then using it to make pieces for a sculpture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts