Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is posible to sharp wooden hand plane with sycthe grinding stone suscessfull.Can hand plane catch a shaving from wood if a wedge is cutted. My neighbour grind it a litle bit i dont know reason. And now i find out that a litle bit of wood stick in that corner is posible to fix this. DO i need to make new wedge . He grind it very neat like 1 cm 1/2 inch or less.

·
Registered
247 Posts
if the throat is getting wood stuck in it you could be taking too deep of a cut or the wedge is to far down and closing the throat,I have a shoulder infill plane and the wedge backed out,the wedge was worn,all that was needed was to make a smaller wedge to go under the original wedge or you can make a new one all toghter I think thAT wedge is being to far down in the throat is the issue.at least without seeing pics of the plane with the issue

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think this will make it clear. The factory that made this kind of hand plane is called Bul-max.DO somebodey know this kind mark (plane).Att 1,2,4 pictures you can notice a litle bit of crack that i menitoned, and you can notice a head of nail fastened trough bolck of plane.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
if I am understanding this,the head of the nail in the rear of the plane?right?That is a striking cap to adjust your blade,if you blade is to deep the idea is to put the plane on a table and tap that cap or head to bring the blade up to cut less,the blade has a crack of gap?if its not a crack you can grind it down KEEING THE BLADE COOL DONT LETIT GET HOT,if its cracked you should be able to get another blade the mouth isnt in great shape it might be better to get a differnt plane.you can repair the mouth but that takes skill.Did I get you question?I hope chris

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
if I am understanding this,the head of the nail in the rear of the plane?right?That is a striking cap to adjust your blade,if you blade is to deep the idea is to put the plane on a table and tap that cap or head to bring the blade up to cut less,the blade has a crack of gap?if its not a crack you can grind it down KEEING THE BLADE COOL DONT LETIT GET HOT,if its cracked you should be able to get another blade the mouth isnt in great shape it might be better to get a differnt plane.you can repair the mouth but that takes skill.Did I get you question?I hope chris
No the head of screw on rear side on plane is in because factory made it so you can strike it with an hammer and blade come out. I nailed right side of blade where you can't see it clearly because it's a litle nail. I will mark it.I dont know what kind of crack on blade you think i think blade don't have crack in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I can't do it now.But i will give a try tomorow.It's night here.The wood shaving clogging on left and right side of mouth it only dont gett stucked in midle of plane mouth

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still having trouble understanding where the wood shavings or clogging. You are doing well but the language barrier is still a problem.

Can you take a picture of the wood shavings in the plane after use? A picture of what you have to clean out.[/QUO

It's looks like this when it's jammed

Attachments

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Here we go!

It's two things. The iron is not sharp enough, this is a very common cause of clogging on wooden planes. The iron has to be shaving razor sharp.

The second thing is the chip breaker. The chip breaker needs to be sharpened as well so that it meets the iron very cleanly and sharply.

Another thing to check is for cracks and rough spots on the mouth. A bit of wax or tallow will help quite a bit too.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Azur Jahić;515100 said:
IT is like on 3rd picture.
Your plane is should look like the 2nd picture
Scrub plane and Jack plane irons need to be sharpened something like this ,
That may stop the wood shaving clogging on left and right side of mouth .

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you look at the pics to me it looks like they are clogged in the middle of the mouth too?it looks like the mouth is worn that the blade isnt sitting tight on the bed.I dont know but I think no matter what he does with iron,he will have the same issue

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
that mouth looks really rough you think that mouth bein so worn is the issue?jean?
I do believe it contributes but with these tight throated continental planes they clog extremely easily with a dull blade. What happens is the shaving are rough and torn and they jam up.

A clean shaving passes through and keeps moving.

Your plane is should look like the 2nd picture
Scrub plane and Jack plane irons need to be sharpened something like this ,
That may stop the wood shaving clogging on left and right side of mouth .
This is actually a smoothing plane.

I can understand the confusion on this one - it looks like a scrub plane because of the horn. A scrub in this form has a much narrower iron around 3/4" to 1" wide.

A very light camber would help a bit just as with an iron smoother.

if you look at the pics to me it looks like they are clogged in the middle of the mouth too?it looks like the mouth is worn that the blade isnt sitting tight on the bed.I dont know but I think no matter what he does with iron,he will have the same issue
Again I'm certain that is a contributing factor however I believe the iron and chip breaker is the place to start.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts