Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love hiking in the mountains, and whenever one of my waling sticks break, I put in some effort to make a new one. I got most everything good on it, but the stain/oil is not yet applied. Last time I made up a stick was with pine, and I put Linseed Oil on it. But I really don't like the yellow.....

Tung Oil from looking on the web seems like a good bet, but I'm not for sure. I was looking for something that soaks right into the wood for water repellent anti-rot properties. I also don't want any shine at all like you would get from a varnish, and not slick either. Anyone have any experience?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tung oil mixed with mineral spirits 50/50 would give good penetration and a couple of coats should give good protection. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Pure, real tung oil will impart an amber color to light colored woods--just somewhat lighter than linseed oil.

Test out both on your item or some scrap. That's the only way you will see how it is going to look.

Neither finishes are particularly protective or durable. With the application of 6-10 rubbed on coats, you can get some water and moisture protection from real Tung Oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pure, real tung oil will impart an amber color to light colored woods--just somewhat lighter than linseed oil.

Test out both on your item or some scrap. That's the only way you will see how it is going to look.

Neither finishes are particularly protective or durable. With the application of 6-10 rubbed on coats, you can get some water and moisture protection from real Tung Oil

What would yo recommend for something that is strong, but I wouldn't have to sand to bare wood to do a refinish in say a year or so?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Finishes used outdoors almost always need to be reapplied every year. Give it a light sanding and then apply a couple of more coats of either linseed oil or tung oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts