Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a bottle of 100% tung oil I recently purchased from Woodcraft. Right on the bottle it says you can place marbles in the bottle to displace the air and keep the oil from polymerizing. Stole some marbles from the wife's craft supplies and 3 weeks later they've dissolved :eek: Thought they were real glass. They break like real glass (took a hammer to one just now to see). Haven't a clue as to what they really are and more importantly if they will affect the tung oil. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If they've dissolved in it, they will definitely affect the oil.

Haven't the slightest clue how, good, bad or otherwise.

I'd make some test samples with it and see what happens.

I'd also worry about the wife's beads. If they dissolve in tung oil, how will they react with the natural oils on the body?

If it were me, I'd also play around with the beads and see if they melt with heat, what other solvents they dissolve in and how well they burn.

Not that those experiments will tell you anything about how they have affected the oil, but might just be fun to play with:laughing:

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
I would have never thought even plastic marbles would dissolve in tung oil. Have to wonder what they were made of.

If you ever use rattle can paint, the marbles in those cans are glass marbles. I usually puncture an empty can with a BB gun and let dry for a couple of days and cut the cans open for the marbles. They can come in handy in any paint and I sometimes put a marble in a paint sprayer when I'm using a paint with heavy solids.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
image-3644032697.jpg
Cold like glass. Rattle like glass. Splinter like glass when broken. But disappeared in tung oil 👽

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
At the risk of possibly insulting you (definitely not intended), are you sure they dissolved or can you just not see them in the container as they are clear? The only reason I ask is you got me wondering what they are made of and I found this link which looks the same as your picture - and these are made of glass. http://store.seacorals.net/paclmigeregl.html

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I really feel dumb. Went down and poured it into a different container and sure enough they're in there. Tung oil is thick enough that they don't rattle. Plastic bottle combined with the color of the oil and I had to mostly empty the bottle before I could tell they were there. :-0. Mystery solved.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
sawdustfactory said:
Now I really feel dumb. Went down and poured it into a different container and sure enough they're in there. Tung oil is thick enough that they don't rattle. Plastic bottle combined with the color of the oil and I had to mostly empty the bottle before I could tell they were there. :-0. Mystery solved.
Laughing!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts