Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this idea on another woodworking board and thought I'd give it a try. First I made hexagonal "sausages" out of walnut, cherry, and hard maple. Then I sliced the sausages into pieces.

Assembling all of the hexagons to make the cutting board is a lot harder than it would seem. Try as I might, the hexagons do not all come out exactly the same, so there are tiny gaps in some areas. It's also more difficult than you'd think to keep the orientation of each hexagon the same as you glue them together.

But the final product looks pretty good. I think I'll make several more for Christmas gifts.

·
master sawdust maker
437 Posts
Looks Great!!

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,543 Posts
that looks awesome!

I am trying to wrap my mind around how this gets done. Is there a tutorial on how to do this somewhere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZwp9tXQVM

Somewhere in Don Russell videos on segmenting he goes over making these shapes with a cutoff saw set at exactly 60 degrees. Once you have it set up you can turn them out pretty quick.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That is a cool idea. I will have to add that to my project wish list.

·
Registered
791 Posts
That's a good looker there.. I especially like the sausage idea, and I know what a bugger aligning the pieces is.. I wonder if it would be possible to join several sausages, enough to make a whole row and then saw to length.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is neat looking, but I am afraid I would cut one of my fingers, using it as a cutting board! I am CROSS EYED now!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's a good looker there.. I especially like the sausage idea, and I know what a bugger aligning the pieces is.. I wonder if it would be possible to join several sausages, enough to make a whole row and then saw to length.
I was thinking the same, ala the woodguy's chess table video, however, I think you can make small adjustments among the loose pieces to make up small differences along the way. If you spent the time making strips of glued up rows, you would still have to glue the rows together. I don't think there would be much time savings there plus no ability to fudge the joints.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
BEAUTIFUL cutting board! I too always wanted to make a tumbling block, uhmm, anything. It looks so cool.

Where's Q-Bert.
I'll bet he's proud as @#$*! <------- see what I did there?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a building thread on making these style boards? I couldn't find one. Thanks.

·
Banned
615 Posts
That's an awesome cutting board! My wife brought up a good point though. I asked if she wanted one. Her first reaction she loved it, but then she said no. Says it's so busy, she's afraid she'll lose focus and cut a finger off.

Have you used the board yet? What's your thoughts on this?

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That's an awesome cutting board! My wife brought up a good point though. I asked if she wanted one. Her first reaction she loved it, but then she said no. Says it's so busy, she's afraid she'll lose focus and cut a finger off.

Have you used the board yet? What's your thoughts on this?

~Stumpy Nubs
I suspect your wife isn't giving herself enough credit.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I suspect your wife isn't giving herself enough credit.
Well she is a pretty good cook. Her mom used to teach cooking classes and taught her a lot. But she has sliced her finger twice in two years. You're probably right, but she does get distracted easily. Kinda like my dog and son lol.

~Stumpy Nubs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts