Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I joined the forum earlier this year as I was contemplating replacement of my 1980s Craftsman Flex-drive table saw. The rip fence required too much double-checking and measuring and I was going to build new kitchen cabinets. I didn't end up buing a new TS or building the cabinets.

Fast forward to now. I am going to finally build the cabinets and replace the saw. I accidentally knocked the rip fence off the table:huh: and a casting broke so I am going to buy a new TS in the next few weeks.

After much research and debating I have decided to go with the Saw Stop contractors saw mainly because my teenage sons will also be using it to make things. I want the added safety of the blade stop. Until now I have forbidden them to use it, I usually made the cuts for them.

My question is whether I should buy some of the upgrades available.

I am definitely upgrading to the Professional T-glide fence. Should I get the 36" ($200) or 52" ($300) rails? I have a shop but if I wouldn't use the 52" rails then I don't want to take up the extra space.

Also, is it worth it to get the cast iron wings ($189 /pair)?

Finally, should I get the 30" outfeed table ($99) or make one?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My opinions only: if you intend this to be your last saw, then get the cast iron wings. If not, I'd probably flip a coin. But for the fence rails, I've had a 52" for 12 years or so, it replaced a 30". In those twelve years I think I used the extra capacity maybe 4-5 times. Others would have that length rail and use it frequently. I would probably go with the longer rails, especially if room isn't an issue. But you may find that extra capacity doesn't get used all that often. Thing is, when you do need it, it's there and makes life simpler. For me the outfeed table is a no brainer, I'd make my own.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the same saw you are looking at.....I have the 36" extention...wish I had the room for the 50".....imho, the cast iron wings are a must....I also got the mobile base, and would not want to be without it....the fence is really nice..., you'll like it.....go ahead a get the brake for use with a dado blade.....I also replaced my blade with a Frued Fusion......earlier this year, I built an outfeed table ( 63 x 48 ), don't see how I lived without it.....I really like my Saw Stop.....

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
What to upgrade is very subjective, but here's what I'd do...

1. yes to the 36" fence upgrade, the would slide the rails to the right if you want more rip capacity.

2. yes to the cast iron wings if you can swing the money...$189 isn't a terrible price for a pair of them.

3. no to the outfeed....build it.

4. yes to a great saw blade or two! :thumbsup:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
knotscott said:
What to upgrade is very subjective, but here's what I'd do... 1. yes to the 36" fence upgrade, the would slide the rails to the right if you want more rip capacity. 2. yes to the cast iron wings if you can swing the money...$189 isn't a terrible price for a pair of them. 3. no to the outfeed....build it. 4. yes to a great saw blade or two! :thumbsup:
Agreed to all of these

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
Let me toss something out here....

With the 50" inch rails comes a right side table. This can make things so convenient. If you have the room, it will be the best decision that you've ever made.

The cast iron wings make the table nice and solid. This is another one of those things that you'll be glad that you did.

Finally, if you have 220 volts available, by all means get a cabinet saw. It is one of those things that as a woodworker we all want. The contractor saw was very good but the cabinet saw is a WOW!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the exact saw, I would not do without the cast iron wings, they are awesome. I wouldn't be without the mobile base, this things a beast and the base turns it into a kitten. I bought the sawstop thin kerf blade.

You will love putting it together. If every assembly came with similar instructions/guides, the world would be a near perfect place.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Knotscott: I didn't think of moving the rail to get extra capacity.

Since the saw will hopefully last for many years I want to get the right setup.

I currently have cast iron wings on my Craftsman and like them. So i will probably get them on the Saw Stop.

I am going to check the room available for the 36" vs 52" rails. It's not the extra $100 but the room that is the determining factor. If the 52" turns out to be too long I will get the 36" and do the rail-shift knotscott suggested.

Also, I will make the outfeed table (using my new saw:icon_smile:).

Steve

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Steve.. Since you already have a set of cast wings would it be feasible to use those on the new saw??
It might require drilling new alignment holes but that's a small price to pay to save a couple hundred for the new wings.
Just my .02 on the subject.
..Jon..

·
Registered
531 Posts
I currently have cast iron wings on my Craftsman and like them. So i will probably get them on the Saw Stop.
You could put the Craftsman wings on your Sawstop assuming they are 27" and save yourself some dough. You may have to drill/tap either the wings or the table but that's no big deal.

Ironically, I put those Sawstop wings on my non-Sawstop saw as they didn't offer CI wings and those were the cheapest I could find. I did have to drill/tap but it was quick and painless.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You could put the Craftsman wings on your Sawstop assuming they are 27" and save yourself some dough......
or you could keep the c-man as a dedicated cross cut saw and position it to function as the out feed table for the sawstop.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hadn't thought of removing the CI wings from the craftsman and putting them on the SawStop. Good idea. When I get the saw I will check the holes and see. As long as it's possible I will probably do it.

I also like the idea of using the saw as an outfeed table, but I don't have enough space. The outfeed table I make will have to be folding or removable when not in use.

After I remove the wings from the craftsman, I might also take off the legs and use it as a "portable" table saw when I need it on-site for a project. With the rip fence busted I could rig something up to use for ripping (clamping a board to the table for example).

While I'm posting, I have another TS question. I will be cutting a lot of cabinet-grade particleboard-core melamine. Is there a special blade you can recommend for this use? Obviously, I can't really have any chipping of the melamine at the edges.

Thanks
Steve

·
where's my table saw?
30,347 Posts
been here done that

I used the table itself as an extension for the multiple saw arrangement I made, 3 table saws, 2 tables in between each.

The table saw itself, no extensions, will have no grids to catch the loose pieces... a good thing. The table itself will give you an optoin for a dado head. Just bolt them together and either brace back tyo the new saw or make separate legs if it's not mobile.
Those grid extensions are a PITA in my opinion. I have several laying around with no purpose for them

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
... I will be cutting a lot of cabinet-grade particleboard-core melamine. Is there a special blade you can recommend for this use? Obviously, I can't really have any chipping of the melamine at the edges.

Thanks
Steve
http://www.freudtools.com/p-25-thin-kerf-double-sided-laminatemelamine.aspx

There's the thin kerf version, there is also a regular kerf
The LU96 has a triple chip grind that'll give best edge life. For the lowest possible chip out, I'd opt for a Hi-ATB grind....something like the LU79/LU80, Infinity 010-080 Ultrasmooth/010-060, Forrest Duraline or CMT 210.010.080 would be ideal if you're not a large quantity.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, a new TS isn't in the budget, at least for now.

I will need a new fence for the Craftsman so I can build the kitchen cabinets.

The choice is between:

1) Delta T2 fence for $230 (free shipping) from CPO outlets
2) Vega PRO 40 for $280 (free shipping) from Amazon
3) Incra LS32-TS for $349 ($54 shipping) from Tool Zone

The Delta T2 used to be cheap, but few places actually have it and those that do charge a lot more.

Is the INCRA worth the jump in price over the other two?

Steve

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd go a t2 or vega personally. For the incra price your getting pretty close to bisermeyer territory if you buy your own rails

1 - 20 of 74 Posts