Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a few picture frames this year for Christmas presents. One obstacle I have encountered are the photo turns or turn buttons. I haven't been able to find any of the simple metal ones at any of the big box stores or at any crafting places either.

I was wondering if anyone has ever made their own, and what process you might have used for this. I tried cutting one out on the scrollsaw and the results were less than desirable.
photo turn.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are tons of online retailers, but the shipping is what would get me. I settled and just got the cheap nylon ones from Slowe's. Hopefully I'll get everything finished early and can try cutting out a few more of them again. I'll keep y'all posted if that's what I end up doing.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If I were determined to make my own I'd get a thin sheet of brass or Aluminum and cut them using a metal shears. You could also ask around at local framing places and see if they will sell you some. Wood is IMO far too thick to make turns that lay flat against the wall unless your making some seriously deep walled frames.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts