Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer I visited a renaissance faire. I noticed many people walking around with their own wooden mugs for beer. A little shop had them for sale and they started at $60 and ran to over $300 for the largest of them.

octagon mugs.jpg

I checked out youtube searching for videos on making wooden mugs. All I found was a short video where the author cut rings using a scroll saw and glued them up. There wasn't much offered as to how to finish it. I didn't mind that it was round instead of octagon.

Going ahead, I cut out some rings and glued them up. I plan to sand everything on an oscillating spindle sander...just as soon as I get one, then glue the bottom on.

mug014.jpg

I wanted to try and attach a deer antler for a handle also.

I know very little about finishing and what it would take to make certain it was totally water proof inside and out. I am thinking I could maybe use a 5 minute epoxy to attach the deer antler??? Good idea or bad?

Just looking for advice and ideas. Thanks in advance, John

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What species of wood are you using?
These are cuts off scraps that I got from someone. Both species have tiny pores. Best guess is the darker wood is mahogany or walnut and the lighter one is oak.

I'm sort of new to this and am still learning how to identify different species just by looking.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The most successful wooden mugs I have seen are built around a plastic glass insert. No wood or finish is perfectly waterproof. Moisture will cause the wood to expand and contract which may lead to splits and cracks in the wood.

You could also use a brushed on coat of fast set epoxy.

The answer is to test things out on some samples first.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I progressed a little more with the mug and decided not to waste a deer antler on my first one. I applied some boiled linseed oil first. I am now in the process of giving the inside many thick coatings of polyurethane. There are two things I have to consider. The first is to seal away any liquid from reaching the wood. The second I guess would be to hope that whatever I use doesn't cause anything I drink from the mug to become toxic. I hope I am doing this right and I'm sure I will improve on the next mug.
mug016.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've seen the octagonal versions in use at various medieval re-enactment events I've attended. I'll see if I can find any info on how they were made, and post it here if I do.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
<<<< The first is to seal away any liquid from reaching the wood.

No one-part finish is totally waterproof. Water vapor will go through poly fairly quickly.

>>>> The second I guess would be to hope that whatever I use doesn't cause anything I drink from the mug to become toxic.

Since the mid 1970's, all finishes sold in the US are required to be non-toxic when cured.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally finished up the mug. I used a 2 part epoxy to seal the inside and many coats of poly on the outside. It's the first one so the next ones will be more creative and better finished.

mug017.jpg
mug020.jpg

This forum is awesome! I am learning so much I feel like my head is gonna explode:nuke:

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
367 Posts
thanks for starting this thread...I have been wanting to do this also....adn have been wondering what type of finish to use.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
I would recommend trying to shape the lip of the mug to make it easier to actually drink out of. If you where able to chuck it into a lathe it would take a few minutes of turning to do it. Otherwise the mug looks good.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning a few more mugs and have ideas for different designs. I also plan to round over the lip by passing it over a round over bit in my router table next time. (don't have a lathe yet).

I'll post some more pictures when I get them finished.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts