Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 25" dual drum sander, the same one branded by General, Woodtek, North State, etc. It's actually made by Mao Shan.

Either way, last month the PC board, to the variable speed conveyer belt, blew out. Ordered a new one, installed, flipped it on and there went another. Why? Haven't got a clue and don't know how to trace the problem down. If I order another board I need to find out what the problem is before I install it.

Another possible alternative would be to wire the 1/8hp conveyer motor ("VDC: 180, Amp: 1, Watt: 130, RPM: 2000) separately to an external router speed controller like this or this.
Would this work-around work? Could these be adjusted on the fly while the machine is running?

Other suggestions? Different controller?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Trouble shooting the electricals of any machine can be a hassle. Sounds to me like you have a frayed wire causing the board to short.

Trace and inspect every wire in the machine before doing anything else. That includes the main power cord. One loose strand of wire in a bundle can create a serious problem.

I'd never recommend jury rigging machines showing electronic issues with HF parts.... but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
unfortunately, you've experienced a condition where the symptom may have been corrected (attempted), but the problem remains. assuming that you installed good board, and installed it correctly.

is there a dc power supply connected to the pc board, or do the ac wires connect directly to it?

when an electrical device goes bad, check the voltages that supply it (e.g. ac volts or dc volts), and the load that it serves (e.g.m otor). so it is also possible that the motor is shorted.

as mentioned, always verify good connections.

welcome to the forum.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
I wonder if the motor caused your problem. Do you have a schematic anywhere on the machine? If so, take a pic and share it. There are a lot of "work-a-rounds", but an 1/8 hp motor sure sounds tiny to run a dual drum sander.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like a motor issue exists. You may need to take the motor to an electrical repair shop for them to run some diagnostics on it. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I'll look for a frayed wire, connections, etc. before pulling the motor.

The motor is DC that gets power through the mag switch that's connected to the board.

No schematic available and the owners manual is pretty useless.

I found a shop that'll test the motor, so I'll take it to them on Monday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved

Ended up being a lose connection in the motor which was grounding itself to the motor casing. Fixed and running great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts