Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a teak dining table from my grandparents. My grandfather urathaned it and the colour was pretty terrible...so I sanded the whole table down to bare wood with 100, 150, and 220. After I used Watco Danish Oil (Dark Walnut tint) to finish it. I wet-sanded the table top with 400 in between 3 coats. So it's finished, but the wood looks very dry and gray in some of the striations. Also, I was hoping by going with the Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil that the table top would match the leaves, but that didn't work out either.

Questions:
How do I get rid of the dry, gray look in some of the striations (see picture)?

Is there any way to match the main tabletop to the leaves? We usually leave the leaves out. All have Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil (3 coats) on them. (see picture)

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Well first you don't wet sand Watco. I think the gray striations was caused by the water. If you would dry sand it with some 180 to 220 grit paper and apply another coat of the Watco I think it will clear it up.

When ever you refinish it's best to take the old finish with chemicals rather than sanding. It may be that the leaf was prepared a little different is why it's a different color or it may be retaining some of the old finish. You might try sanding it with a little coarser sandpaper and see if that makes it a little darker. Generally with any wood the finer you sand it the lighter it stains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply,

I didn't wet sand it with water. I wet sanded between coats using the Watco Danish Oil. The dry, gray streaks seem to be in the darker striations of the wood and it is very visible in the sunlight. Should I sand it with 220 again and then apply another coat of Watco? Or should I put a different oil on it to give it some shine and, hopefully, get rid of the dry looking, gray streaks? It looks like it has powder on it in some spots (which it doesn't). Any ideas?

Adam

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sanding is a very poor way to remove a finish. It does not remove the finish that has been absorbed into the grain of the wood. Any residual finish will cause uneven penetration and uneven coloring of any subsequent finish. The way to remove a prior finish if you plan a clear finish is to use a chemical paint stripper containing methylene chloride. Follow the directions on the label.

I would suggest you again re-strip the finish using the above material. Then apply your clear coat.

Finally, Watco is not a very durable finish, particularly for well used dining table. It does not hold up well to frequent cleaning or abusive use. I would wipe on 5-6 coats of a thinned poly varnish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts