Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a Powermatic PM2000 cabinet saw. Yesterday I set the miter slot to blade and miter slot to fence parallel adjustments using a dial indicator. I was able to get both to within .002". So far so good. Today, I've place the blade at 45 deg., and the measurement from the front of the blade to the rear is +.016". I understand this indicates the table is sloping at the front side & needs to be shimmed. OK, I get that. HOWEVER, if I loosen the 2 bolts on the front side of the table & lift, the error INCREASES. If I loosen the 2 bolts on the REAR SIDE of the table & lift, the error ALSO INCREASES. How an this be??? Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Dan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I worked this out, now the error on both 90 degrees & 45 degrees is less than .003. The table was lower at the front than the rear, inserting .025" washers under the table at the 2 front bolts remedied the situation. This approach seemed to be what was indicated by the measurements, but I was thrown off by the anomaly of the error apparently increasing whether I pried the front or the back up a bit. I guess prying is not an accurate simulation of the effect of shims.

BTW if anyone is interested, I can email PDF's of several articles I have on tablesaw tune-ups which helped me work this out, a video of one of which can be seen at http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=5313.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts