Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheap Black & Decker drill that I got for free. The main drive gear is missing, most likely it broke (I found this problem to be common on this model via google searches). Trouble is that there are no replacement parts available. Does anyone have any backdoor way to get access to drill replacement parts? There are plenty of replacement part sites out there, but no one carries parts for this drill. I thought about trying to find a similar part from a different drill, and then working it to make it fit.

The drill is an LI3100.

Joe

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
At $25 for a new one it's not worth the effort. A tool that cheap is a throwaway. I'd do just that and spend some money on a better one. It was free to you, why waste money on it?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yeah id say save it for parts like the motor and chuck and look into a new one. The craftsman bench top DP can be bought for under $100 I think. Maybe you'll need coupons.
I got mine for $70 on sale.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah, those are pretty much disposable. Break it down, salvage the motor, and toss the rest. I'm pretty sure the battery is permanently installed, too, so sooner or later it would fail and you'd have to toss everything anyway.

Also, it's not a drill: the LI3100 is an electric screwdriver. Some of them come with some custom drill bits, but the one I had never did a very good job unless I was only drilling cheap particle board or drywall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts