Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into getting a triton router. The one concern I have is the handles seem to be higher than other brands. Just by moving it around in the store it almost seemed a bit top heavy. Does anyone have one? Do you like it and are the handle placement a pro or con?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just an opinion here, but I believe that with the same budget, you can do better in a router with several of the other major brands, i.e. Porter Cable, Bosch, Makita, DeWalt and so on. Features. Accessories. Versatility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has been able to disable the safety on/off switch on the Triton. I want to have a remote switch on the outside of my table and leave the switch on the router in the on position all the time. The problem is every time I want to change the bit the switch shuts off and I have to remove the router from my table to turn the switch on again. Any one have a suggestiob?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mike, I have the Triton MOF 001 and I don't use it anymore due to just what you described, top heavy. I got it, at a very good price, to use in my table to try and avoid getting a lift. I hated it due to the safety switch setup, as oldsloane describes, I never figured out a way to disable the safety feature and ended getting getting a PC 7518, for the table and going with a lift. I kept the Triton, to use for hand work but like I said, I didn't like it because of the height of the handles and feeling top heavy. One other thing about the Triton that I don't like is the way the plastic dust shield is made into the design, even with a DC hose attached, it gets dust build up on it and makes it hard to see what you are doing. I got the Bosch MRC23EVSK to use for hand work and I really like it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a combo base router.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am so are not impressed with this new triton. I will be using it only in a router table so I don't care about balance or dust shields, I will be removing them anyway. I use a 4" port on the bottom of the table and a 3" port on the fence which both tie into my cyclone collector and it has enough grunt to use both ports at the same time. I think I will have to strip the machine down to the skeleton to disable the sliding door on the start/stop switch. I am getting a little bit tired of this nanny world we are living in now, everyone is going to extreme lengths to watch over us and I do believe it is all about liability in a World where everything is open to a lawsuit. I still love my 30 plus year old Hitachi and I have used it without incident since new with just a simple on/off switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Triton MOF001 (2.25hp model) and it is not my favorite to use for handheld operations. It does seem a little top heavy and the controls are awkward for me. I leave mine in the router table 99% of the time and I think it's very good as a table mounted router. It came with its own height adjustment winder (and many other accessories) and with the right router base plate, you can easily make height adjustments above the table. The power switch/safety feature is a bit awkward -- that is a drawback. The arbor automatically locks and the collet can be removed with a single wrench -- again all from above the table. I find that the dust shroud works well and I often use it when the router is table mounted -- especially when I don't use the router fence. I really like this router and despite it's flaws I would buy it again if given the choice.

·
An experienced novice
323 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has been able to disable the safety on/off switch on the Triton. I want to have a remote switch on the outside of my table and leave the switch on the router in the on position all the time. The problem is every time I want to change the bit the switch shuts off and I have to remove the router from my table to turn the switch on again. Any one have a suggestiob?
I mounted my Triton router in my shop-build table so that both the height lock lever and the on/off switch are on the front when I reach under the table.

I looked into disabling the safety lock thing, and since it's mechanically interlocked with the collet lock, if you disable it you loose the ability to use the built in lock.

If you are not going to use the collet lock (and have to replace it with a MuscleChuck or similar), and can't get to the height lock lever (because it's on the back), you might as well not buy the Triton, but get a better router.

The height lock lever is a necessity because the Triton routers creep down if they aren't locked, which can be a major PITA if you need to make small changes in cutter height as when setting up profile and cope cuts.

My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have been able to figure out disabling the sliding door feature shouldn't affect the collet lock. The sliding door stops the router from it's full travel which disables the collet lock but I think if I disable the safety feature the router will complete it's full travel which will allow the collet lock to work just fine. I cannot find a parts diagram or exploded view of the router so I am not quite sure how it all comes apart but I am going to keep at it till I figure it out. I am not as smart as I am persistent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts