Woodworking Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,071 Posts
Has the belt been taken off before starting it? If I run a HF belt on my sander it almost locks ot up...

How I got mine..... They damaged the cord and put a 110 cord on a 220 tool. It didn't run right so they got rid of it. Took it home and found it had the wrong plug in. Changed and now runs like a champ..​

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
Has the belt been taken off before starting it? If I run a HF belt on my sander it almost locks ot up...
Apparently, your problem was in the plug. Before I bought the HF 9X48 sander, I read somewhere there was a problem with start-up. Then I think I saw it in the instruction manual somewhere wher they said it will run slow for several seconds, then get up to speed.
I didn't have any of the above problems. Mine starts up and runs just fine. Maybe my belt is tight enough? Anyway, I am happy with it. Not trusting quality of HF, i bought the sander for around $200 with all the discounts, I also bought the extended 2 year warranty for around $50. If I get 2 years out of it, it would be worth the price. And as the store manager explained it............in the right situations, you can pay $50 every 2 years for the extended warranty for life. LOL.
Anyway, it performs better than I expected for HF
HF has definitely improved their overall quality over the past few years.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,071 Posts
Mine runs fine on a Klingspor belt , but doesn't like the HF belt. I bought another as well to check. Starts and runs fine. I couldn't back off the adjustment anymore so I put a wrench in there arps an adjustment...
20200221_102833.jpg.de96198d424916d5d4c27b54095b79a6 (1).jpg

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,071 Posts
No fishing today, rain. Dry Thursday then rain for a week. Everyone thinks it will be a couple weeks before bass really turn on...

So I'm just sitting here watching everyone get twisted as usual over electrical questions.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
unfortunately, apartment living (wiring) generally does not bode well for heavy equipment operations, btdt. as you can see, your "tripped" circuit breaker also removed power to other loads (lights, neighbors). meaning that the circuit breaker does not just provide power to the single outlet you are attempting to use.

you may try other outlets in your apartment. i would not recommend that you attempt to wire your sander to the dryer outlet without professional assistance. or, you can try removing other appliances if you think they are plugged into the same circuit in your apartment.

but, i think your best starting point is your maintenance man, describe your issue to him and ask him for his recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
Electric motors are fairly simple for someone that is not familiar with electricity. Just look at the plate on the motor for the specs. Then look at circuit breaker/fuse to see if Voltage/Amperage are the proper service for the sander. This is the first step and easiest step and we still haven't heard back from him.
It could be as simple as a short in the motor. Anyway, people have suggested a few simple steps for the OP to start out with.
We still dont know much about it. He called it a floor sander. It could be an edge sander requiring 20A on a 15A circuit. It could even be an old big disk sander.

Still no photo of plate on motor showing motor specs.

·
Nine Thumbs
399 Posts
"Ahh if only there was a place where he could speak directly with an Electrical Engineer that was familiar with motors, wiring, Electrical Code, and all of this gobbledygook.....Oh wait....there IS! ........Here!

I just don't get you people. You run off all of the professionals from this forum because "you're amateur woodworkers" and don't need to do things that the pros do, and you'll vehemently argue with a well known electrical engineer on electrical topics, but then at the same time, chase people away telling them that they won't get good answers here because you aren't capable of providing them.

Do your business or get off the pot, but when something is over your head, stay the frick out of the topic!!

Hey George, I've been on the Internet providing electrical advice under my real name for 25 years. If you can google one single instance where I have provided false information in all of that time, I will PayPal you $1000 right now. Just find it. Otherwise, stay in the shadows where you belong."

Ahh Rick, you're trying to push a rope up hill. And getting pissy with folks surly won't add to your friend list. Your credentials, like all of ours, mean very little behind a keyboard.

And don't forget that everybody knows everything about electricity, whether they're loggers, janitors, roofers or shoe salesmen.

I've been an industrial electrician, supervisor and manager for 39 years. I gave up on the know- it- all folks a long time ago. They're just too smart. I do however always point questions like this to a true DIY electrical site where at least there are professionals to sort it out. The fact that ultra simple questions like the OP asked indicates a severe lack of understanding of the concept. With good advise he/ she may be able to correct the issue, but it rarely will come from here.

Read post #5 and take heed.

·
where's my table saw?
28,732 Posts
People reply here because they are just trying to be helpful. There are ways to be helpful and ways that are not. Some folks don't know or understand the difference.
All electrical questions do not require the skill set of an electrical engineer, or a certified electrician, HOWEVER some do and that's where we get "off the rails".
If you've never had the wiring cover off a motor or wired a plug on one, it's better to have a skilled person do it or guide you in person. Electricity is one of the few things you can not determine by looking, unless it's a short and the wires are burnt and or are still smoking! It requires at a minimum, a voltage checker or multi-meter and then you need to know what to look for and where to look for it.
If you do woodworking for any length of time you should become familiar with the basic electricl power requirements of your machines and the switches that operate them. Beyond that it's typically a job for a professional.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,071 Posts
It never fails, there are questions that need to be answered and everybody already has the answer...

Every woodworker here is a box of puzzle pieces. Some puzzles more complete than others...

·
Registered
builder / creator jack of all master of none
31 Posts
No fishing today, rain. Dry Thursday then rain for a week. Everyone thinks it will be a couple weeks before bass really turn on...

So I'm just sitting here watching everyone get twisted as usual over electrical questions.
I'm getting lots of rain here too. In the next week the pre spawn bite should be good. Best of luck. Tight lines!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i agree with rick, but also with shoprat. i've seen so much wrong electrical info on this forum that maybe electrical questions should be eliminated or moderated. i quit answering electrical questions, which is too bad seeing as i'm a better electrician and machine repair mechanic, than i am a woodworker

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
The problem in this forum is that some people don't know when to sit back and let those that are qualified help without being interrupted.
I would advise anyone with electrical questions to visit our sister DIY site where there is less static from the peanut galley.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you considered moving to another place of residence, whereby, you have better electrical control? This setup sounds very disastrous.

·
Mossback
1,579 Posts
Ahh if only there was a place where he could speak directly with an Electrical Engineer that was familiar with motors, wiring, Electrical Code, and all of this gobbledygook.....Oh wait....there IS! ........Here!

I just don't get you people. You run off all of the professionals from this forum because "you're amateur woodworkers" and don't need to do things that the pros do, and you'll vehemently argue with a well known electrical engineer on electrical topics, but then at the same time, chase people away telling them that they won't get good answers here because you aren't capable of providing them.

Do your business or get off the pot, but when something is over your head, stay the frick out of the topic!!

Hey George, I've been on the Internet providing electrical advice under my real name for 25 years. If you can google one single instance where I have provided false information in all of that time, I will PayPal you $1000 right now. Just find it. Otherwise, stay in the shadows where you belong.
Love ya Rick! They don't know enough to recognize the right answer when they see it my friend. This place is like walking into a dive bar late at night to get advise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
good day all:
lets start off with something I was taught as a young teenager by my grandfather which was that you divide and conquer.

First is the name plate data. take picture and post it. it will show max amps and design voltage. ie 120 vac.
Second, Is this a brand new machine or a used machine? if new take it back...
Do have or down load the owners manual? It should have a section a preventive maintenance of your equipment.

If this is a used unit, has there any preventive maintenance done by you? did you clean the unit up? wood dust gets every where.
Take the sanding belt off clean all the path ways does the the none drive side spin freely? is this machine direct drive or belt drive. if belt, the take it off. take picture or make a mark where it was at. does the spin free? now check motor. does it turn easily. if all seems ok the if you feel safe plug it in. basic safety tenet's is to you be clear all moving parts.
it should start run with no load. no belts. did hum or trip beaker with no sound. if it still trips the breaker then would lead me to check all the wiring on this unit. it should be in the manual.
it could be as simple as loose wire or a wire nut off. if it has a starting capacitor it maybe bad if is older unit. they do go bad if not used much and unit stored in damp conditions.
please note this a general answer for most electrical motor systems.
you may need to take to some with experience with capability of electrical tool repair.

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
Your grandfather taught you well. Always start from the very basics and very obvious.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.