Woodworking Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a floor Delta belt Sander and trips the breaker when ever I use it this is one of the reasons I don’t use it,I live in a building so when the breaker trips I have to wait for someone to hit the breaker .My question is? Is there something I can buy to plug the belt sander to then plug it to the wall where I can use it also with a dust collector? Thank you very appreciated any advice will help a fellow wood worker...
TeamSoto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
where's my table saw?
28,753 Posts
Your circuit is overloaded, maybe by more than one device using/sharing it? You could plug the sander into a 220 vVdryer outlet using one leg for power for more capacity. If you aren't electrically savvy get an electrician. It's best to have each power hungry machine on it's own circuit or you will always be tripping the breaker.

Reactions: TobyC

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
I agree with @woodnthings - change plug to match your clothes dryer 220V outlet. The motor should show you how to wire it for 220V. I ran a 5HP Planer on my clothes dryer outlet. You will probably need a longer cord depending on location of dryer outlet.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
No offence to anyone here but, I would advise you to sign up to our sister site for other opinions as well:
You will find qualified electricians that can advise you what to do and more importantly what not to do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offence to anyone here but, I would advise you to sign up to our sister site for other opinions as well:
You will find qualified electricians that can advise you what to do and more importantly what not to do.
Thank you will check it out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it's tripping on start-up, you may want to increase the size of the start capacitor on the motor.

If it's tripping during routine usage, then you might want to inspect the belt bearings, and anything else that is causing undue load on the machine.

Furthermore, if you are using this with an extension cord or even just a loose fitting plug, that can also cause needless tripping.

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
.....................,I live in a building so when the breaker trips I have to wait for someone to hit the breaker ................
If someone else has to re-set the breaker is that because you dont have access to it or is it because you killed their electric also?
If you killed their electric also, then you are overloading the circuit.
Look on the motor of the Floor Belt Sander and it will tell you how many amps it is drawing.
Are you plugging it into a 15A or 20A outlet?
The person that changes the fuse or re-sets the circuit breaker can tell you how many amps it is.
When the fuse/circuit breaker blows, does it kill everything in your apt. or just some of the electricity in your apt?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone else has to re-set the breaker is that because you dont have access to it or is it because you killed their electric also?
If you killed their electric also, then you are overloading the circuit.
Look on the motor of the Floor Belt Sander and it will tell you how many amps it is drawing.
Are you plugging it into a 15A or 20A outlet?
The person that changes the fuse or re-sets the circuit breaker can tell you how many amps it is.
When the fuse/circuit breaker blows, does it kill everything in your apt. or just some of the electricity in your apt?
I have access to the breaker it just cuts the power in an area where I have my tools.Iam trying to get advise this way I can try and figure it out talk to the maintenance worker this way he can change the breaker for me or if there is something I can plug my belt sander too then that would be great also...thank you

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's tripping on start-up, you may want to increase the size of the start capacitor on the motor.

If it's tripping during routine usage, then you might want to inspect the belt bearings, and anything else that is causing undue load on the machine.

Furthermore, if you are using this with an extension cord or even just a loose fitting plug, that can also cause needless tripping.
It trip as soon as I turn it on the lights go out I have to hit the breaker...I haven’t used it because I wanted to get advice this way I can figure things out this way I can use it..

·
Smart and Cool
2,242 Posts
Did this machine ever run for you?

Have you checked how it is wired versus what you are plugging it into? (120V, 240V, single phase, three phase)

Have you checked the condition of all of the wiring?

Have you removed the belt and tried to run the motor by itself?

·
Registered
243 Posts
It trip as soon as I turn it on the lights go out I have to hit the breaker...I haven’t used it because I wanted to get advice this way I can figure things out this way I can use it..
First off, contrary to anything said by others above, because this is a standard manufactured product, it should not be tripping any breakers unless something is not working correctly. If it has a standard 120 volt factory plug, then U.L. dictates that it cannot draw more than 12 amps.

So, on to your actual problem. Because the breaker is tripping at start-up, and especially because you are noticing the lights dim, the most probable cause is that the existing start capacitor has completely failed, and needs to be replaced.

Without knowing the exact model of sander, I will keep this in generic terms. You should find a large hump on the side of your motor. Remove this housing (held on by 1 or 2 small screws) and this will expose the start capacitor. See if you can read a size printed on it, and go to eBay and find a replacement capacitor of the same (or slightly larger) size.

Post a picture, or describe what you find, and someone here can assist in finding the correct replacement.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you checked how it is wired versus what you are plugging it into? (120V, 240V, single phase, three phase)
This is a good point, and should be investigated further. Take a photograph of the motor name plate and we may be able to identify whether the motor is even capable of running at dual voltage. If so, then we'll have to look at how the wires are connected inside the motor's junction box to see how it is currently configured.

Oh, P.S. This information assumes that you bought the sander used, and the previous owner modified the motor wiring without telling you when you bought it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are not going to figure it out on your own. Talk to the maintenance man and ask him to help you solve the problem.

George
Thank you iam and I will it’s a dangerous game to play alone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a good point, and should be investigated further. Take a photograph of the motor name plate and we may be able to identify whether the motor is even capable of running at dual voltage. If so, then we'll have to look at how the wires are connected inside the motor's junction box to see how it is currently configured.

Oh, P.S. This information assumes that you bought the sander used, and the previous owner modified the motor wiring without telling you when you bought it.
I’ll take a picture of the information on the motor this way I get some more info from you guys I won’t be doing anything alone I just want to learne get advice I will have the maintenance guy help me.I appreciate the help from fellow wood workers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You are not going to figure it out on your own. Talk to the maintenance man and ask him to help you solve the problem.
Ahh if only there was a place where he could speak directly with an Electrical Engineer that was familiar with motors, wiring, Electrical Code, and all of this gobbledygook.....Oh wait....there IS! ........Here!

I just don't get you people. You run off all of the professionals from this forum because "you're amateur woodworkers" and don't need to do things that the pros do, and you'll vehemently argue with a well known electrical engineer on electrical topics, but then at the same time, chase people away telling them that they won't get good answers here because you aren't capable of providing them.

Do your business or get off the pot, but when something is over your head, stay the frick out of the topic!!

Hey George, I've been on the Internet providing electrical advice under my real name for 25 years. If you can google one single instance where I have provided false information in all of that time, I will PayPal you $1000 right now. Just find it. Otherwise, stay in the shadows where you belong.

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
Ahh if only there was a place where he could speak directly with an Electrical Engineer that was familiar with motors, wiring, Electrical Code, and all of this gobbledygook.....Oh wait....there IS! ........Here!

I just don't get you people. You run off all of the professionals from this forum because "you're amateur woodworkers" and don't need to do things that the pros do, and you'll vehemently argue with a well known electrical engineer on electrical topics, but then at the same time, chase people away telling them that they won't get good answers here because you aren't capable of providing them.

Do your business or get off the pot, but when something is over your head, stay the frick out of the topic!!

Hey George, I've been on the Internet providing electrical advice under my real name for 25 years. If you can google one single instance where I have provided false information in all of that time, I will PayPal you $1000 right now. Just find it. Otherwise, stay in the shadows where you belong.
WOW. What an ego we have here. What is your hat size.

Just what other of the world's problems do you think you can remotely fix?

George

·
Wishing he had a title...
306 Posts
Amen Rick Christopherson. I see so much bad advice in virtually all the forums I participate in and on most any subject. So much bad advice is just parroted because they read it somewhere and took if for the gospel.

I am getting to point I will hardly give advice even when I know a good answer because of the all the wanna-be's spouting bad advice.

I feel sorry for the people trying to decide who knows what they are talking about and who is talking out his butt.

There. I finally said it.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,480 Posts
In my vain attempt to burn down the house whilst woodworking I had everything plugged into power strips that always tripped before the main breakers so at least I wasn't running back and forth to the service box every few days. You probably only have 15 amp service to your outlets so unless you can get the maintenance guy to upgrade to 20 amp the problem is likely to continue. If they are 20 amp it's probably split into a bunch of separate branches..lights, fans, etc. Branching off the dryer is probably your best bet, but your maintenance guy might just do you a solid if you slip something to him without management approval..booze, weed, cash, a nice table..free tickets to the local house of ill repute..

·
where's my table saw?
28,753 Posts
Have a floor Delta belt Sander and trips the breaker when ever I use it this is one of the reasons I don’t use it,I live in a building so when the breaker trips I have to wait for someone to hit the breaker .My question is? Is there something I can buy to plug the belt sander to then plug it to the wall where I can use it also with a dust collector? Thank you very appreciated any advice will help a fellow wood worker...
TeamSoto
Assuming that a "floor" sander is NOT for sanding floors, but a stationary type, belt driven, rather than a hand held?
From this original post it's impossible to tell what size motor, what size power cord, what size receptacle, what voltage it's wired for, so any advice is speculation.
The question should be as detailed as possible to get the best answer possible..... just sayin'

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.